Problems using DHTML to view VR panorama

Lorenzo il Magnifico

I'm trying to create a page that allows a user to set a VR viewing
preference, QuickTime or Java (PTViewer).

Based on the cookie value, a javascript function call passes the
variables (width, height, file path, etc) to a function that either
writes the proper QuickTime code or the proper java applet code to a
div layer.

I've been wrestling with this endlessly - it just doesn't seem to work
very well.

The dynamically-written QuickTime code works on IE 5.1 Mac and IE 6
Win. Does not work in Safari, Camino, Firefox, and Mozilla 1.4

The dynamically-written Java (PTViewer) sort of works on IE 6 Win and
does not work at all on the others.

is there any particular reason why this would be so troublesome? Why
it would work in some browsers and not others?

Is trying to do this with DHTML a mistake? Too complicated?

If you want to check the code, see

http://www.30fps.com/html/galianiFRVR_TEST.html

I have trouble-shot for syntax errors and outdated js (i.e.,
'document.all').

I've stuck flags in the code to see if it is executing. In all cases
it seems to execute but the pano doesn't show up.

The only other approach I can think of is to have a javascript
function that loads an entirely different page into a frame depending
on how the cookie is set. Not a very elegant way to go about it.

If anyone can suggest a different approach, I would sure appreciate
it.