Problems with anchors, ONLY IN SAFARI

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Steve K, Jun 22, 2005.

  1. Steve K

    Steve K Guest

    I'm stumped.

    I had to whip up a site, and the right hand sub-links (the ones under
    General Information) are anchors to other parts of that page.

    http://fimp.aem.cornell.edu/food_exec/

    My problem is, and this only happens in Safari on a Mac, when I click on
    any of those sub-links like "Participant Checklist," or "Contact Info,"
    etc. the link works and goes to the right spot, but my margin is gone. I
    have a 20px left margin on that table as you can see when the page
    opens. But after the anchor link is clicked that margin goes to zero.

    With the margin at zero and you click on an orange triangle it takes you
    to the "top." The margin comes back.

    As you can see, from my use of tables, I'm not a pro yet, so be kind.

    Thanks
    Steve
    Steve K, Jun 22, 2005

  2. Steve K

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:50:13 -0400, Steve K <> wrote:

    >I had to whip up a site, and the right hand sub-links (the ones under
    >General Information) are anchors to other parts of that page.

    > <a name="contactinfo" id="contactinfo"></a>

    Try this instead:

    <a name="contactinfo" id="contactinfo">Contact Info</a>

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#edef-A
    "Note. User agents should be able to find anchors created by empty A
    elements, but some fail to do so. For example, some user agents may
    not find the "empty-anchor" in the following HTML fragment:"
    Andy Dingley, Jun 23, 2005

  3. Steve K

    Steve K Guest

    In article <>,
    Andy Dingley <> wrote:

    > http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#edef-A

    Thanks for the help. I'm still trying to figure it out.

    What I noticed this morning is I don't really lose any margin like I
    thought, but something else strange happens when I click the anchor
    link.

    The browsers horizontal scroll bar (at the bottom) automatically moves
    slightly to the right when an anchored link is clicked. Therefore the
    margin appears to have been lost but if I move that scroll bar back all
    the way to the left the margin is, of course, still there.

    Now I'm even more confused than I was yesterday.

    Again, this is only in Safari.

    Thanks
    Steve K, Jun 23, 2005
  4. Steve K

    Steve K Guest

    In article <>,
    Steve K <> wrote:

    I found out, thanks to a guy from comp.sys.mac, that because my graphic
    at the top of the page was so wide, over 1500 pixels, the lower
    horizontal scroll bars would always appear. I shrank that image down to
    around 800, and set the width of the page. Now the scroll bars do not
    show up on a normal monitor screen, unless you shrink it quite a bit.
    Problem fixed.

    Steve K, Jun 24, 2005