problems with error output interpretation

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tom Cloyd, May 19, 2008.

  1. Tom Cloyd

    Tom Cloyd Guest

    I hope this is an OK place to post this. I've been able to find another
    more promising place.

    I'm running an extremely simple program, trying to start using the
    Hpricot gem. I don't understand two things with some error output I'm
    getting. Here's the program (obviously only a fragment at this time, but
    that's 'cause I get in trouble easily):

    %w(rubygems logger hpricot ruby-debug).each{|lib| require lib }
    doc = open("index.html") { |f| Hpricot(f) }
    (doc/"div.page-content-div").inner_html

    Here's the console I'm seeing:

    $ ruby --debug content_capture.rb
    Exception `LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27
    - no such file to load -- hpricot
    Exception `LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27
    - no such file to load -- encoding/character/utf-8
    Exception `LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:34
    - no such file to load -- encoding/character/utf-8
    /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/hpricot-0.6/lib/hpricot/builder.rb:11: warning:
    `&' interpreted as argument prefix
    Exception `LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27
    - no such file to load -- ruby-debug
    $

    First of all, there's nothing in this output which looks like a usable
    (by me) trace - the first thing I want to know is WHERE in my program is
    the error occurring. There aren't exactly many possibilities, but I'm
    still not understanding why there isn't a traceback to the point of
    origin of the problem in my tiny program. Makes no sense to me. I'm left
    guessing. Am I missing something?

    Secondly, I don't see what the problem is. The file I'm trying to open
    is assuredly there, and where I'm saying it is. Is this all errors from
    hpricot?

    Any help would be much appreciated. I'm beached at this point.

    t.

    Tom Cloyd, May 19, 2008

  2. Tom Cloyd

    yermej Guest

    On May 19, 5:28 am, Tom Cloyd <> wrote:
    > I hope this is an OK place to post this. I've been able to find another
    > more promising place.
    >
    > I'm running an extremely simple program, trying to start using the
    > Hpricot gem. I don't understand two things with some error output I'm
    > getting. Here's the program (obviously only a fragment at this time, but
    > that's 'cause I get in trouble easily):
    >
    > %w(rubygems logger hpricot ruby-debug).each{|lib| require lib }
    > doc = open("index.html") { |f| Hpricot(f) }
    > (doc/"div.page-content-div").inner_html
    >
    > Here's the console I'm seeing:
    >
    > $ ruby --debug content_capture.rb
    > Exception `LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27
    > - no such file to load -- hpricot
    > Exception `LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27
    > - no such file to load -- encoding/character/utf-8
    > Exception `LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:34
    > - no such file to load -- encoding/character/utf-8
    > /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/hpricot-0.6/lib/hpricot/builder.rb:11: warning:
    > `&' interpreted as argument prefix
    > Exception `LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27
    > - no such file to load -- ruby-debug
    > $
    >
    > First of all, there's nothing in this output which looks like a usable
    > (by me) trace - the first thing I want to know is WHERE in my program is
    > the error occurring. There aren't exactly many possibilities, but I'm
    > still not understanding why there isn't a traceback to the point of
    > origin of the problem in my tiny program. Makes no sense to me. I'm left
    > guessing. Am I missing something?
    >
    > Secondly, I don't see what the problem is. The file I'm trying to open
    > is assuredly there, and where I'm saying it is. Is this all errors from
    > hpricot?
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated. I'm beached at this point.
    >
    > t.
    >
    > --

    Try running it without the --debug argument and see what happens. I'm
    sure somebody else can explain why, but the LoadError messages are
    common in debug output when using require. (Maybe it has something to
    do with gems?) Those errors don't have useful (to you) stack traces.

    Anyway, when I run your example with debug, I get the errors you
    posted followed by an error stating that 'index.html' is not found
    (because I didn't create one). So, your script is working; you're just
    getting confused by other libraries' debug output.

    yermej, May 19, 2008

  3. Tom Cloyd

    Tom Cloyd Guest

    yermej wrote:
    > On May 19, 5:28 am, Tom Cloyd <> wrote:
    >
    >> I hope this is an OK place to post this. I've been able to find another
    >> more promising place.
    >>
    >> I'm running an extremely simple program, trying to start using the
    >> Hpricot gem. I don't understand two things with some error output I'm
    >> getting. Here's the program (obviously only a fragment at this time, but
    >> that's 'cause I get in trouble easily):
    >>
    >> %w(rubygems logger hpricot ruby-debug).each{|lib| require lib }
    >> doc = open("index.html") { |f| Hpricot(f) }
    >> (doc/"div.page-content-div").inner_html
    >>
    >> Here's the console I'm seeing:
    >>
    >> $ ruby --debug content_capture.rb
    >> Exception `LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27
    >> - no such file to load -- hpricot
    >> Exception `LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27
    >> - no such file to load -- encoding/character/utf-8
    >> Exception `LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:34
    >> - no such file to load -- encoding/character/utf-8
    >> /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/hpricot-0.6/lib/hpricot/builder.rb:11: warning:
    >> `&' interpreted as argument prefix
    >> Exception `LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27
    >> - no such file to load -- ruby-debug
    >> $
    >>
    >> First of all, there's nothing in this output which looks like a usable
    >> (by me) trace - the first thing I want to know is WHERE in my program is
    >> the error occurring. There aren't exactly many possibilities, but I'm
    >> still not understanding why there isn't a traceback to the point of
    >> origin of the problem in my tiny program. Makes no sense to me. I'm left
    >> guessing. Am I missing something?
    >>
    >> Secondly, I don't see what the problem is. The file I'm trying to open
    >> is assuredly there, and where I'm saying it is. Is this all errors from
    >> hpricot?
    >>
    >> Any help would be much appreciated. I'm beached at this point.
    >>
    >> t.
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    > Try running it without the --debug argument and see what happens. I'm
    > sure somebody else can explain why, but the LoadError messages are
    > common in debug output when using require. (Maybe it has something to
    > do with gems?) Those errors don't have useful (to you) stack traces.
    >
    > Anyway, when I run your example with debug, I get the errors you
    > posted followed by an error stating that 'index.html' is not found
    > (because I didn't create one). So, your script is working; you're just
    > getting confused by other libraries' debug output.

    Thank you very much. You were right. No "--debug" = no error messages.
    Game on. Thanks for rescuing me from my ignorance!

    t.

    Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC
    Private practice Psychotherapist
    Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
    << >> (email)
    << TomCloyd.com >> (website & psychotherapy weblog)
    << sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health issues weblog)
    << directpathdesign.com >> (web site design & consultation)

    Tom Cloyd, May 20, 2008