Problems with getting file text stream

Stefan Dase

Hello everybody!

I'm not very experienced in ASP but have to extend a colleague's site.

One page enables users to add new action-items to our database. After
inserting the record it have to send an email to the responsible worker
with title and description.

I tried to read the message body from a template text file (*.htm) and
substitute placeholders with the new data. But I only get an empty
message body. Here is the relevant part of ASP code:

'get email message from template
sTmplt = Server.MapPath("../templates/actionitem_email.htm")
If objFSO.FileExists(sTmplt) Then
sMgs = objFSO.OpenTextFile(sTmplt).ReadAll
Else
sMsg = "File not found: " & sTmplt
End If

vEmail = rstRecipient.Fields(0).Value
If Not IsNull(vEmail) Then
With objMail
.From = "(e-mail address removed)"
.Subject = "Neue Aufgabe in BeDaBaL für Projekt " & sProjectName
.To = vEmail
.TextBody = sMsg
.Send
End With
End If

If i fill sMsg manually with some characters they appear in the email.
But if I try to read out the template there is no text, even the Else
branch isn't used.

Do anybody has any idea?

Many thanks,
Stefan

Stefan Dase

Ups,

sometimes it is very helpfull to have a little break. It was just the
wrong notation:
If objFSO.FileExists(sTmplt) Then
sMgs = objFSO.OpenTextFile(sTmplt).ReadAll ^
Else
sMsg = "File not found: " & sTmplt
End If

Thank you,