problems with installing the ruby libnet module

anansi

Hi,
I tried to install the Ruby Libnet module from
http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-libnet/ . So I downloaded it with svn
update to my local machine and wanted to install it with:ruby extconf.rb .
But this just gives me an error:

checking for main() in -lnet... no
Dependency failed
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
--with-opt-dir
--without-opt-dir
--with-opt-include
--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
--with-opt-lib
--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
--with-make-prog
--without-make-prog
--srcdir=.
--curdir
--ruby=/usr/bin/ruby1.8
--with-netlib
--without-netlib

have_library: checking for main() in -lnet... -------------------- no

"gcc -o conftest -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux -I. -Wall -g
-fno-strict-aliasing -O2 -fPIC conftest.c -L"/usr/lib" -rdynamic
-Wl,-export-dynamic -lruby1.8-static -lnet -lpthread -ldl -lcrypt
-lm -lc"
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lnet
collect2: ld gab 1 als Ende-Status zurück
checked program was:
/* begin */
1: /*top*/
2: int main() { return 0; }
3: int t() { void ((*volatile p)()); p = (void ((*)()))main; return 0; }
/* end */

"gcc -o conftest -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux -I. -Wall -g
-fno-strict-aliasing -O2 -fPIC conftest.c -L"/usr/lib" -rdynamic
-Wl,-export-dynamic -lruby1.8-static -lnet -lpthread -ldl -lcrypt
-lm -lc"
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lnet
collect2: ld gab 1 als Ende-Status zurück
checked program was:
/* begin */
1: /*top*/
2: int main() { return 0; }
3: int t() { main(); return 0; }
/* end */

so it seems I'm missing the lnet library ?!?!? But what is this and any
idea how to install it on linux (ubuntu) ?

--
greets
(
)
(
/\ .-"""-. /\
//\\/ ,,, \//\\
|/\| ,;;;;;, |/\|
//\\\;-"""-;///\\
// \/ . \/ \\
(| ,-_| \ | / |_-, |)
//`__\.-.-./__`\\
// /.-(() ())-.\ \\
(\ |) '---' (| /)
` (| |) `
jgs \) (/

one must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a
dancing star

anansi

got some help elsewhere:

one needs libnet1-dev to be installed to get it compiled correctly :)

--
greets
(