problems with rubycocoa on macosx 10.3.8 w/ ruby 1.8.1

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by jm, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. jm

    jm Guest

    $ ruby -v
    ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [powerpc-darwin]

    Installed rubycocoa-0.4.1-panther.tgz with the following

    $ ruby ./install config
    $ ruby ./install setup
    $ ruby ./install install

    tried and ran into problems with

    $ ruby sample/HelloWorld.rb
    /Users/gg/ulocal//lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/osx/cocoa.rb:12:in `require':
    No such file to load -- osx/objc/cocoa (LoadError)
    from /Users/gg/ulocal//lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/osx/cocoa.rb:12
    from sample/HelloWorld.rb:14:in `require'
    from sample/HelloWorld.rb:14

    I found this in
    /Library//Frameworks/RubyCocoa.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/
    ruby/osx/objc/ and tried putting in a symbolic only to be rewarded with
    "undefined superclass `ObjcID' (TypeError)"
    Perhaps, surprisingly "open Simple.app" worked from the beginning.

    So has anybody got this working? If so, how?

    Alternative ideas on working with ruby on cocoa also welcome.

    J.

    jm, Feb 21, 2005

  2. jm wrote:
    > tried and ran into problems with
    >
    > $ ruby sample/HelloWorld.rb
    > /Users/gg/ulocal//lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/osx/cocoa.rb:12:in

    `require':
    > No such file to load -- osx/objc/cocoa (LoadError)
    > from

    /Users/gg/ulocal//lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/osx/cocoa.rb:12
    > from sample/HelloWorld.rb:14:in `require'
    > from sample/HelloWorld.rb:14
    >
    > I found this in
    > /Library//Frameworks/RubyCocoa.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/
    > ruby/osx/objc/ and tried putting in a symbolic only to be rewarded

    with
    > "undefined superclass `ObjcID' (TypeError)"

    Is rubycocoa.bundle properly located in the powerpc-darwin7.2.0 folder?
    That's what causes Ruby to link in the RubyCocoa framework, so it seems
    to be a problem with that. I don't have the objc folder in my site_ruby
    either and RubyCocoa works fine over here.

    Also, I found during some of my own troubleshooting that symbolic links
    don't always work for RubyCocoa components (and in fact I think I got
    that same error when I tried). You'll need to copy the actual resource.

    Charles Steinman, Feb 21, 2005

  3. could someone with a clue just make a .dmg? :)
    then its likely i'd try ruby-cocoa. but i refuse
    to install anything on my mac unless a) its me
    that should be making the installer :p or b) there
    is a .dmg

    i've tried installing manually in the past.
    nothing worked with 1.8.x. someone said that
    cvs now works. but this is just a tad too clumsy
    in my eyes. can't a snapshot version be released
    as a .dmg? i'd suffer with a *working* .tgz or
    whatever. but nothing i've tried works :(

    Alex

    Alexander Kellett, Feb 21, 2005
  4. jm

    Richard Dale Guest

    Alexander Kellett wrote:

    > could someone with a clue just make a .dmg? :)
    > then its likely i'd try ruby-cocoa. but i refuse
    > to install anything on my mac unless a) its me
    > that should be making the installer :p or b) there
    > is a .dmg

    Well a .dmg of QtRuby would be pretty useful, if you know how to do one.
    It's a bit of a pain to build on Mac OS X too.

    -- Richard

    Richard Dale, Feb 21, 2005
  5. On Feb 21, 2005, at 2:19 PM, Richard Dale wrote:
    > Alexander Kellett wrote:
    >
    >> could someone with a clue just make a .dmg? :)
    >> then its likely i'd try ruby-cocoa. but i refuse
    >> to install anything on my mac unless a) its me
    >> that should be making the installer :p or b) there
    >> is a .dmg

    > Well a .dmg of QtRuby would be pretty useful, if you know how to do
    > one.
    > It's a bit of a pain to build on Mac OS X too.

    agreed. wanted to postpone until qt4 though on which
    we can have a .dmg, an .exe, and .ebuild/.deb/etc.
    first fully portable, easy to install, and useful
    toolkit with a gui designer :)

    Alex

    Alexander Kellett, Feb 21, 2005
  6. Hi,

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:05:46 +0900, Alexander Kellett
    <> wrote:
    > could someone with a clue just make a .dmg? :)

    See hdiutil(1). It is pretty easy.

    Cheers

    Laurent

    Laurent Sansonetti, Feb 21, 2005
  7. jm

    Sam Roberts Guest

    Quoteing , on Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 01:26:33AM +0900:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:05:46 +0900, Alexander Kellett
    > <> wrote:
    > > could someone with a clue just make a .dmg? :)

    > See hdiutil(1). It is pretty easy.

    Making a .dmg is easy, building ruby cocoa can be hard, and making a
    dmg that will install ruby-cocoa onto an OS X system so that it is
    useable by ruby is hard.

    Cheers,
    Sam

    Sam Roberts, Feb 21, 2005
  8. jm

    jm Guest

    Thanks to all those who made suggestions.

    rubycocoa.bundle was located under
    .../ruby/site_ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin and looked correct to otool. So I
    installed from cvs directly and this seems to have worked. At least
    HelloWorld.rb works.

    Like many out there I would welcome qtruby working on macosx. I gave it
    a quick try (qtruby-1.0.6) and ran into the same problems as I did the
    last time (got stuck in a configure loop again). This would actually be
    more suited to my needs as it is cross platform. While it is true that
    GNUstep is cross platform and can be used as a substitute for Cocoa on
    other platforms most people are more likely to have QT installed
    already; Especially in the case of linux users. For me at least it's a
    question of audience.

    Thanks again. Now to waste, er, constructively spend the rest of the
    day learning cocoa.

    Jeff.

    jm, Feb 21, 2005