Problems with SQL server

Toni

I have some program in VB6 (I can make new in .NET if it is necessary). This
program is working with SQL Server 2000 database from long distance
(computers are in agencies and is connected to DSL and VPN connection).
Every few days some of computers can not connect to sql server, but other
computer works. He can not find sql server or access denied. It is down
until I reinstall windows (fresh copy of windows). Than it works. I supose
that it is because of viruses, spywares, trojans... Sometimes Kaspersky
don't find anything. Network is working, I can use internet (web, email...)
but I can not connect to sql server. Do I really need to reinstal windows or
I can make some changes on windows, network, sql server...?

Guest

I have some program in VB6 (I can make new in .NET if it is necessary). This
program is working with SQL Server 2000 database from long distance
(computers are in agencies and is connected to DSL and VPN connection).
Every few days some of computers can not connect to sql server, but other
computer works. He can not find sql server or access denied. It is down
until I reinstall windows (fresh copy of windows). Than it works. I supose
that it is because of viruses, spywares, trojans... Sometimes Kaspersky
don't find anything. Network is working, I can use internet (web, email...)
but I can not connect to sql server. Do I really need to reinstal windows or
I can make some changes on windows, network, sql server...?

This group is about ASP.NET. Do not spam

Michael C

Toni said:
I have some program in VB6 (I can make new in .NET if it is necessary).
This program is working with SQL Server 2000 database from long distance
(computers are in agencies and is connected to DSL and VPN connection).
Every few days some of computers can not connect to sql server, but other
computer works. He can not find sql server or access denied. It is down
until I reinstall windows (fresh copy of windows). Than it works. I supose
that it is because of viruses, spywares, trojans... Sometimes Kaspersky
don't find anything. Network is working, I can use internet (web, email...)
but I can not connect to sql server. Do I really need to reinstal windows
or I can make some changes on windows, network, sql server...?

Did you really need to send this to so many groups?

Toni

This group is about ASP.NET. Do not spam

Can I solve this problem with asp.net. If I can not make sql server to work
beter from long distance via VPN, maybe I can send data to some xml web
service and maky asp.net application for reports. Can I send data to web
service and check if it database record is realy written to sql server
database on web server?

Toni

Did you really need to send this to so many groups?

I am in trouble. My bosses want's that I fix this problem immediately, but I
don't know how. Please help!!!

Guest

Can I solve this problem with asp.net.

Yes, you can. As the ASP.net resides on the server, it cannot be
infected by a local virus. Are you going to develop that on
ASP.NET? :)

Toni

Can I solve this problem with asp.net.
Yes, you can. As the ASP.net resides on the server, it cannot be
infected by a local virus. Are you going to develop that on
ASP.NET? :)

Maybe. I need to fic this problem on temporary program, but in future I will
develop this like asp.net application. Can I work with POS printer (printer
for printing bills, boat and bus tickets...) in asp.net application? Is it
possible or I need to make windows application which works with XML web
service instead connecting to SQL Server by VPN connection?

Susie DBA [MSFT]

you should do this:

a) always connect via SQL Server Security
Windows Authentication isn't reliable enough for real world use
b) always use IP Addresses and not machine names
c) keep your data and your sql statements as small as possible

give some more examples

Michael C

Toni said:
I am in trouble. My bosses want's that I fix this problem immediately, but
I don't know how. Please help!!!

People might be more inclined to help if you show some etiquette. You
haven't really got much of an answer despite to multitute of groups this was
posted to. I can't see how this can be that urgent though, it's a major
change to your app, possibly a re-write. You did specify moving from vb6 to
..net so I guess it IS a re-write. They can't be expecting this in 1 day.

Michael

RobinS

BTW, watch out for the susie dba person. He's a troll that uses many
aliases, and does not work for Microsoft. ANy advice he gives is suspect.

Robin S.
--------------------------------

jeff

here is your solution ...

Low risk ...

n = number of sites that connect remotely ...

- go purchase n + 1 new machines.
- install your software on all the machines.
- ship a new machine to each site.
- tell them to only use it once they are infected and can not operate.
- as machines go off-line and do not work ... introduce these new machines
- bad machines are sent back to you, so you can re-install the os and
software.
- send machine back to user.

this will fix you problem but it is not a solution!

Higher risk ...

Same as above, but only purchase n * .25 computers and keep them on hand and
ship them out to impacted sites ASAP.

Either of these approaches should fix your problem and should reduce the
downtime due to your problem.

Thanks
Jeff

jeff

now if this does not fly ... investigate the following ...

- how are you creating you VPN trusted connection / what software are you
using?

- how are users athenicated on the VPN?

- when the user can not connect to the database, can the 'SEE' the sql
server machine - ping it, map a shared folder, anything?

if user can see it ...

- what type of authenication does your vb application use to connect ...
secure or username password?

- Does the user security credential expire???

if user cannot see the machine ...

- can the user see other machines on the VPN?

....and so on....

there are too many unkowns for ANYBODY to give a solution. This should be
an easy problem to fix ... you just need to isolate and find the problem,
before you can ask for advice.... OTherwise, we can only tell you what to
check ...

The VPN connection is the first place I would investigate ... it can not be
the software, you are not having to re-install the database and rebuild the
dataset...other users at not impacted when a site goes 'off-line'...

I think it is a communication problem ... We have 14 offices all
interconnected with Cisco hardware and Cisco VPN clients (for remote users).
We have about 25 applications that use a common MSSQL database server
'farm' - 5 servers, each hosting 5 applications. When users 'lose' database
connection and their programs no longer work, it is mostly due to their
machine not being authenicated on the network and the server blocking its
access. SOmetimes a machine will use cached network security creditials,
giving them temporary access. BUt once this runs out, they will lose
connection to the database ... they can ping it, they can see it, but
regardless of the connection method, MSSQL will not allow the machine to
connect unless it has the proper security creditentials from the DSN Server.

If you are reinstalling the OS .... you are not solving the problem ... you
are avoiding issue. and, to avoid downtime, please see previous post.

Jeff.

- when it fails, can the user connection to the VPN