Process handling with Runtime.exec()

Natanael Mignon

Good evening to you,

what I am trying to do is start an external process, let it live and
destroy it later on (by call of a method, i.e. when it is not needed
anymore). Now this process is a ssh commandline opening a ssh-tunnel
over which I want to communicate. After this communication is done, I'd
like to end the ssh-process.

At the moment I try it this way:

Process proc = null;
proc = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(sshCommandLine);
(method invoked for closing)
proc.destroy();

Unfortunately, I keep getting a NullPointerException from proc.destroy()
- the process seems to have disappeared (but in fact it is still there).

I need to keep track of the process - but I cannot get a pid or
something like that back from Runtime.exec() nor could I find any other
useful Classes or Methods helping me there.
Furthermore there is no way telling, whether the exec() has been
successful at all, I think. Asking for the returnValue tells me the
process has not yet exited. Humm.

Any ideas and help is highly appreciated. :)

Kind regards
--
- Nat

www.bleeding.de | www.metal-germany.de

-= Bleeding for Metal | c/o Madhouse Of Cain =-
-= P.O. Box 39 23 | 30039 Hannover | Germany =-