Productivity and Quality of IDE

Discussion in 'Python' started by Claudio Grondi, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. In todays posting
    "Any wing2.0 users here?"
    I found in the sentence
    "What can you say about this IDE? He say's 'if I think it could
    improve my productivity he's willing to buy it for me."

    the indirect question:

    Can a better Python IDE increase programmers productivity?

    From my experience as (part-time) programmer I would tell, that the
    actual productivity depends heavily on so many other things, that it
    makes the IDE the last one in the chain of factors behind productivity.

    What is your opinion?

    Does the answer differ when coming from a programming team manager or
    from a programmer himself?

    If you are a Python software house manager, would you buy me the WingIDE
    (a single OS license for Wing IDE Pro is $179 and a dual OS license is
    $295) if I were working for you as a Python programmer or would you
    point me to freeware solutions instead? Or would you expect me to buy it
    myself as I should be interested to increase my productivity myself?

    What IDE do the professional Python programmer teams behind Python
    Software Foundation use?

    And the most interesting question:

    Which Python programming environment uses Guido van Rossum ???

    Claudio

    Claudio Grondi, Jan 2, 2006

    Daniel J. Rubin, Jan 2, 2006

  3. Claudio Grondi

    Guest

    Daniel J. Rubin wrote:
    > I say it entirely depends on what your programming. For instance, if
    > creating a GUI, there is no question that a well developed high quality
    > IDE is a huge help -- from the point of view of stub generation and code
    > completion, as well as the GUI designer.

    Most non-IDE users still use GUI designers and other tools (and many
    standalone programmer's editors had code completion long before Eclipse
    existed). I've had no problem using unintegraded gui designers to
    build large GUIs. I fail to see how bundling it in a package with my
    editor and debugger would make it more productive.

    , Jan 2, 2006
  4. Claudio Grondi

    Mike Meyer Guest

    "Daniel J. Rubin" <> writes:
    > I say it entirely depends on what your programming. For instance, if
    > creating a GUI, there is no question that a well developed high quality
    > IDE is a huge help -- from the point of view of stub generation and code
    > completion, as well as the GUI designer.

    I disagree. I find GUI designers a waste of time.

    <mike

    Mike Meyer, Jan 3, 2006
  5. Claudio Grondi

    James Guest

    It depends on a number of factors including yourself. I am a very
    visual person. I consider visual design as the native language of
    expression and representation (at least from a human stand point) for
    objects that have visual end presentation. I know I am productive this
    way. Your mileage may wary on how you prefer to think.

    It also depends on how good the tool chain is designed. Delphi, Visual
    Studio.NET, Dreamweaver for example are a sheer pleasure for me to
    design interfaces with. In my Delphi days, I used to feel that thhe IDE
    was critical to my productivity. But the old VB6 and FrontPage and even
    recent Java IDEs get in my way often. I tend to think most people find
    seamless integration more productive. If you are an outlier, good for
    you.

    As for simple language IDEs, some languages benefit more than others.
    Even though I like more integrated solutions like PyDev, SPE etc and
    have a long history of IDE usage, I keep coming back to SciTE when it
    comes to Python. But I would not dream using Java/C# without an IDE.

    James, Jan 3, 2006