profile provider and saving page level preferences

sonic

so, profile provider is a way to save application preferenes for each
user. the profile can be replaced to provide a different persistance
layer, and/or schema, but what about tweaking it to work in page level,
to save preferences for all controls on each page for example.

in a application with 100's of sites, containing many of the same
controls, i'd like to be able to persist different states of controls
depending on the page, and also not load ALL global user control
preferences for performance reasons.

i've been racking my brain for couple hours in how to change this
pattern to accomplish this, but perhaps it is just not designed for
what i need. My initial thinking was overloading the GetProfile(strring
username) to someting like GetProfile(string username, string pageID)
but im not sure if profile framework can be tweaked to support this.