program written to model population evolving over time

Discussion in 'Python' started by sam, Nov 4, 2006.

  1. sam

    sam Guest

    dear all,

    i've just finished a program which sets up an initial population
    consisting of four different phenotypes, allows them to evolve over
    time and graphs the output at the end, displaying what is in effect the
    evolutionary steady state for the system.

    i'm no authority on evolutionary game theory (to put it mildly), but
    there is a certain amount of interesting emergent behaviour if you put
    the initial parameters in in a certain manner.

    excuse my ignorance, but is there a site where people post this kind of
    stuff? i figured someone might be interested in playing with it,
    tweaking it a bit, changing the parameters. i've only been programming
    a couple of months, so i'm sure more experienced programmers could
    whack into shape if they were interested. or not...

    it's about 500 lines, including white space and comments, probably
    about 400 lines of pretty unconcise code in all. thought i'd try and
    contribute something for once instead of just asking questions.

    sam

    PS it does actually work, in case you're wondering. :)
    sam, Nov 4, 2006

  2. On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 13:09:10 -0800, sam wrote:

    > i've just finished a program which sets up an initial population
    > consisting of four different phenotypes, allows them to evolve over
    > time and graphs the output at the end, displaying what is in effect the
    > evolutionary steady state for the system.

    [snip]
    > excuse my ignorance, but is there a site where people post this kind of
    > stuff? i figured someone might be interested in playing with it,
    > tweaking it a bit, changing the parameters. i've only been programming a
    > couple of months, so i'm sure more experienced programmers could whack
    > into shape if they were interested. or not...

    Something like this would probably go very well on Useless Python, or the
    Cheeseshop:

    http://www.uselesspython.com/
    http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi

    --