    can anyone recommend good written small open source c++ project for a
    beginner to look into?
    thanks.
    salerep, Apr 16, 2011

  2. salerep

    salerep Guest

    On 04/16/2011 03:37 PM, cg_chas wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:34:08 -0400, salerep
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> hi all,
    >> can anyone recommend good written small open source c++ project for a
    >> beginner to look into?
    >> thanks.

    > Have a look on sourceforge there are plenty.

    exactly.that's why I' asking. I'm not asking about any project...
    salerep, Apr 16, 2011

  3. salerep

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Sat, 2011-04-16, cg_chas wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 16:08:38 -0400, salerep
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 04/16/2011 03:37 PM, cg_chas wrote:

    >>> Have a look on sourceforge there are plenty.

    >>exactly.that's why I' asking. I'm not asking about any project...

    .... but you are asking about a well-written one.

    > Your question is not exactly on-topic here. You may want to try an open source
    > newsgroup if you haven't already. Perhaps a linux application related group.

    It's a question about learning C++; how can it not be on topic?
    Also, Linux people generally don't know anything about C++.

    > Also, if you are just a beginner with C++, then I would suggest a good book with
    > exercises in it. Accelerated C++ comes to mind. It introduces and covers the
    > more useful aspects of the language.
    >
    > You'll want a very solid foundation with a general programming language such as
    > C++ before you dive into a real open source project because most also involve
    > using compex libraries.

    I disagree. Too many people spend too much time learning programming
    without ever seeing anyone else's real, working code. I did it that
    way myself.

    I suggest a combination of reading books, doing example code (acutal
    useful code, or with unit tests) and reading/modifying real code.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Apr 16, 2011
  4. salerep

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Sat, 2011-04-16, salerep wrote:
    > hi all,
    > can anyone recommend good written small open source c++ project for a
    > beginner to look into?
    > thanks.

    Normally I say "try the lftp FTP client", but this time I downloaded
    the lftp source code and looked at it. It doesn't look too bad, but:
    - it seems to underuse the STL containers
    - most of it is completely undocumented

    There's also the 'rtorrent' BitTorrent client. It looks better
    and more modern (although its indentation conventions look weird to
    me).

    My own projects are listed at http://snipabacken.se/~grahn/comp/

    Of the C++ ones, I'm reasonably happy with 'geese', 'prefer' and
    'anydim'. (They are of course much smaller and less generally useful
    than lftp and rtorrent, which are both excellent software.)

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Apr 16, 2011
  5. Am 17.04.2011 10:15, schrieb cg_chas:
    > On 16 Apr 2011 22:21:05 GMT, Jorgen Grahn<> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 2011-04-16, cg_chas wrote:

    > By the way, sourceforge has a search engine that one could quickly get a
    > size-reduced list from. Using keywords such as "small" "well-written" "c++"
    > "cpp" reduces the number greatly.

    And who would add such tags to a project? The authors. And I'd say when
    the authors claim that about their own project, that statement does not
    have much meaning.

    Peter
    Peter Remmers, Apr 17, 2011
  6. salerep

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Sun, 2011-04-17, cg_chas wrote:
    > On 16 Apr 2011 22:21:05 GMT, Jorgen Grahn <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 2011-04-16, cg_chas wrote:

    > By the way, sourceforge has a search engine that one could quickly get a
    > size-reduced list from. Using keywords such as "small" "well-written" "c++"
    > "cpp" reduces the number greatly.
    >>
    >>... but you are asking about a well-written one.
    >>
    >>> Your question is not exactly on-topic here. You may want to try an open source
    >>> newsgroup if you haven't already. Perhaps a linux application related group.

    >>It's a question about learning C++; how can it not be on topic?

    > Since you asked.. It is not exactly a question about learning C++, it is also a
    > question about open source projects.

    I think he asked about open source projects only because he wanted to
    read and change the C++ source code.

    >>Also, Linux people generally don't know anything about C++.

    > I love it when people make unsubstantiated blanket statements. The arrogance in
    > doing so is surpassed only by the ignorance required to make such statements.

    Quickly moving to ad hominem, I see. I've had enough of that around
    here already.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Apr 17, 2011
  7. salerep

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Sun, 2011-04-17, cg_chas wrote:
    > On 17 Apr 2011 17:24:36 GMT, Jorgen Grahn <> wrote:

    >>> I love it when people make unsubstantiated blanket statements. The arrogance in
    >>> doing so is surpassed only by the ignorance required to make such statements.

    >>Quickly moving to ad hominem, I see. I've had enough of that around
    >>here already.

    > Perhaps it was hasty on my part. It is not beyond me to apologize for the
    > response I made, so if you feel offended by it, then please accept my apology.

    Apology accepted.

    > Speaking truthfully, though, I have great disdain for blatant generalizations
    > about groups of people where there is no supporting or substantive value. There
    > isn't just alot of it here, its all around us if you keep your eyes and ears
    > open.
    >
    > Consider the audience of your statement and the possibility that they are using
    > linux to read this very discussion. One could easily perceive the statement you
    > made as unduly critical.

    OK, I was too brief. What I meant to say was approximately:

    I don't think he'd get useful responses in a Linux (systems)
    programming newsgroup, because most Linux programmers use C (or
    Python, Perl ...) and many of them (e.g. Linus) are quite hostile to
    C++.

    See, I'm a Linux programmer myself, so it wasn't attack on the Linux
    people. (Although I wish more of them would use C++, so I'd not have
    to see so many homemade linked-list/hash/search tree implementations.)

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Apr 17, 2011
  8. salerep

    Paul Guest

    "Jorgen Grahn" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 2011-04-17, cg_chas wrote:
    >> On 17 Apr 2011 17:24:36 GMT, Jorgen Grahn <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Quickly moving to ad hominem, I see. I've had enough of that around
    >>>here already.

    >> Perhaps it was hasty on my part. It is not beyond me to apologize for
    >> the
    >> response I made, so if you feel offended by it, then please accept my
    >> apology.

    > Apology accepted.
    >
    >> Speaking truthfully, though, I have great disdain for blatant
    >> generalizations
    >> about groups of people where there is no supporting or substantive value.
    >> There
    >> isn't just alot of it here, its all around us if you keep your eyes and
    >> ears
    >> open.
    >>
    >> Consider the audience of your statement and the possibility that they are
    >> using
    >> linux to read this very discussion. One could easily perceive the
    >> statement you
    >> made as unduly critical.

    > OK, I was too brief. What I meant to say was approximately:
    >
    > I don't think he'd get useful responses in a Linux (systems)
    > programming newsgroup, because most Linux programmers use C (or
    > Python, Perl ...) and many of them (e.g. Linus) are quite hostile to
    > C++.

    LOL this is funny.
    Many of them are hostile to C++.

    :)