    planning and then codeing and then testing etc
    i have just got a developement responsibulity
    so could you please help me in same
    jack, May 30, 2006

  2. jack

    Mark Rae Guest

    "jack" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > i dont know whether to ask this question in this group or not

    At the risk of appearing a little dense, I'm not sure what you're actually
    asking for...

    > i just want to do proper step wise developement like
    > planning and then codeing and then testing etc

    That sounds like a very sensible way to go about it - what's preventing you
    from doing this...?

    > i have just got a developement responsibulity

    OK - you've been tasked with developing some software...?

    > so could you please help me in same

    What do you need help with...?
    Mark Rae, May 30, 2006

  3. Hi jack,

    You're already on the right track! Thinking about software prior to writing
    it is extremely important. It's kind of hard to give you everything you need
    to know in a nutshell, but I can point you to a rich resource of
    information, the Microsoft Patterns and Practices web site:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/practices/guidetype/Guides/.

    Basically, I'll give you a few pointers to get you started, but you should
    study what is available on the web site I pointed you to.

    In the simplest terms, software development is a problem-solving process
    that moves incrementally downward from a high level of the business
    requirements of an application down to the micro level of writing code to
    perform each individual step in a process.

    The first step is to define the business requirements in as detailed a
    fashion as possible. What is the purpose of the software? What features
    should it have? What sort of user interface is required (Windows Form, Web
    Application, Web Service, Windows Service, etc). What sort of future
    requirements are anticipated? This is extremely important. Often, the
    client, customer, or boss doesn't have a clear idea of exactly what is
    required. As an analogy, think of building a house. Your client tells you
    that he/she wants you to build a house. Well, that only narrows down the
    requirments a tiny bit. How many bedrooms should it have? How many
    bathrooms? What style of house should it be? What is the type of
    landscape/environment will it be situated in? How many doors should there
    be? What sort of kitchen, dining room, living room is desired? What sort of
    utility rooms are needed? Should it be wood, brick, stone? And so on.

    From there, you move to the details of each high-level requirement. Define
    as much as you can think of. Determine how long it will take to create each
    part. If there are limitations in terms of time and resources, what are the
    highest priorities? What is the core functionality? What can be dropped if
    necessary? If the client wants a veranda, and doesn't have enough money,
    will a deck do?

    Once these problems have been solved, you need to determine a plan. You
    don't want to put a roof on the house until all of the interior walls are in
    place, or start putting in bathrooms until the location of the plumbing is
    determined. What should be done first? Second? Third?

    Break these down into individual segments. How do you eat an elephant? One
    byte at a time! And that is also how test your application. Test each
    component as you go. This is called "unit testing." It makes the overall
    testing process easier.

    From there, it's a repetitive process of building each component and
    integrating it into the application.

    Again, be sure and read the articles and guides available on the Microsoft
    Patterns and Practices web site. They will save you a lot of time and
    trouble in the long run.

    Best of luck to you!

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    Professional Numbskull

    Abnormality is anything but average.

    Kevin Spencer, May 30, 2006
  4. jack

    jack Guest

    Thanks Kevin your reply itself is very helpful
    i have downloaded some of pdf's from the url provided by you .
    Its really helpful
    Thanks for helping me .
    jack, May 31, 2006
  5. You're very welcome, jack!