Proper Way to Pass Numerical Values to a Function

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Martin McCormick, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. Most of the C programming I write manipulates strings so I haven't had
    much experience with numerical functions and passing variables in and
    out which brings me to a laughably simple problem that I am having.
    How does one pass two unsigned longs in to a function that
    will ultimately do floating point calculations on them?

    A C tutorial I have says that one should not declare the
    inputs to a function as floats but should use doubles which will
    handle other numerical types. An example of what I am trying to do is:

    void do_percent (lownum, highnum)
    double lownum;
    double highnum;
    { /*percentage routine*/
    printf ("%.3f\n", (lownum/highnum));
    return;
    } /*percentage routine*/

    There is no percentage arithmetic in it yet because if I call
    it like:

    do_percent (smallnumber, largenumber); with both the input arguments
    being unsigned long numbers, the two values become corrupt when doing a
    gdb trace.

    If I declare them as unsigned longs in the function, they do
    keep their values, but printf outputs garbage values so it obviously
    doesn't know what I tried to do.

    I simply want to learn good practices for passing numerical
    values in to functions so any good ideas are appreciated. I have
    obviously misunderstood what I read. Many thanks.
    --

    Martin McCormick WB5AGZ Stillwater, OK
    Information Technology Division Network Operations Group

    Martin McCormick, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Martin McCormick

    Eric Sosman Guest

    Martin McCormick wrote:

    > Most of the C programming I write manipulates strings so I haven't had
    > much experience with numerical functions and passing variables in and
    > out which brings me to a laughably simple problem that I am having.
    > How does one pass two unsigned longs in to a function that
    > will ultimately do floating point calculations on them?
    >
    > A C tutorial I have says that one should not declare the
    > inputs to a function as floats but should use doubles which will
    > handle other numerical types. An example of what I am trying to do is:
    >
    > void do_percent (lownum, highnum)
    > double lownum;
    > double highnum;
    > { /*percentage routine*/
    > printf ("%.3f\n", (lownum/highnum));
    > return;
    > } /*percentage routine*/
    >
    > There is no percentage arithmetic in it yet because if I call
    > it like:
    >
    > do_percent (smallnumber, largenumber); with both the input arguments
    > being unsigned long numbers, the two values become corrupt when doing a
    > gdb trace.

    That's because do_percent() expects to receive two
    `double' values, but you've passed it two `unsigned long'
    values instead. The traffic cop asked you for your license
    and you handed him a codfish; is it any surprise that you're
    in trouble? Write

    do_percent( (double)smallnumber, (double)largenumber );

    A far better solution is to get a more recent tutorial,
    one that's been written less than a decade and a half ago.
    Then you'd learn that the way you've written the function is
    old-hat, and that a newer and better way has been available
    since 1989:

    void do_percent(double lownum, double highnum)
    {
    printf ("%.3f", lownum / highnum);
    }

    This do_percent() function, like the original, requires two
    `double' arguments. However, this manner of defining the
    function also "advertises" the number and nature of its
    arguments so the compiler can generate whatever conversions
    are necessary between what you supply and what do_percent()
    expects (or can complain if what you supply can't be converted
    to `double').

    Since your tutorial apparently knows about `void' (which
    came into the language at the same time as the newer function
    style), it should tell you that the old style shown above is
    kept around only for compatibility with pre-1989 C and that
    you should use the new style for practically all new code.
    Look up the word "prototype" in the index -- and if it's not
    there, get yourself a newer tutorial.

    Eric Sosman, Oct 16, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    Eric Sosman <> wrote:
    > A far better solution is to get a more recent tutorial,
    >one that's been written less than a decade and a half ago.
    >Then you'd learn that the way you've written the function is
    >old-hat, and that a newer and better way has been available
    >since 1989:

    You are absolutely right. I got to thinking and I have had
    that book for eleven years. My thanks to you and to another person
    who emailed me off-list with similar information.

    I new this might be one of those teachable moments and it
    turns out to be. My old book does have prototyping in it and I have
    certainly used it before, but I never understood nearly as clearly as
    I do now why you have to do it. I have written a lot of code that
    works but doesn't have prototyping in it. The only reason that is
    true is because I was lucky in that whatever I was doing involved
    integers or other variable types that defaulted to the correct type.

    It is kind of like having a bare wire in an electrical cord.
    Kids, don't try this at home, but one of the two wires in a power cord
    is neutral and will probably not shock you if you touch it while in a
    tub of bath water. You've got a 50% chance of getting that one or the
    hot wire. Good luck.

    In all seriousness, my knowledge of C has many holes in it,
    but at least now I know what prototyping actually does for one. It
    lays down the rules for how data are handled at any given time.

    Again, many thanks to both of you.

    Martin McCormick, Oct 17, 2003