    between SQL SERVER client and databse system. What is the messaging pattern?

    Thank you for any help.

    David
    =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aWQ=?=, May 16, 2007

  2. There are really only two areas here:
    1) getting the connection string right.
    2) Ensuring that the SQL Server is enabled for remote access, the correct
    transports (e.g. TCP, Named Pipes) are enabled, and that mixed mode
    authentication is enabled.

    Once you can connect to your database you won't need to worry about
    "messaging patterns" or protocols.
    Peter

    --
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    Short urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, May 16, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aWQ=?=

    sloan Guest

    To followup:

    Correct Transports:
    Sometimes you can switch out which one it is using to experiment with better
    performance.
    I remember a client that was a dog with named pipes, and tcp/ip fixed it.

    Sql Server defaults to port 1433. So that port has to be open. (Or
    whichever one it was setup for).

    The things I mention are subpar to what Peter mentioned.
    (Aka, don't go chasing these until you get the other stuff resolved first)

    Get the connection working, and you don't worry about the other stuff.

    To make sure you got a good connection string, you can try this object.

    SqlConnectionStringBuilder

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=SqlConnectionStringBuilder &btnG=Search

    "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    sloan, May 16, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aWQ=?=

    Mark Rae Guest

    Mark Rae, May 16, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aWQ=?=

    sloan Guest

    Neither have I.

    But the object gives you all the "options" with intellisense for a newbie I
    guess.

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/li...lient.sqlconnectionstringbuilder_members.aspx

    Heck, there are a few listed there I didn't know existed.

    sloan, May 16, 2007
  6. Re: Protocol or message pattern of SQL Server client and database

    One more qustion is if the network administrator can block the direct access
    message to database for security reason.

    Thank for all of you.

    I will try and read what you suggested to.

    David

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aWQ=?=, May 17, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aWQ=?=

    Mark Rae Guest

    "david" <> wrote in message

    > One more qustion is if the network administrator can block the direct
    > access
    > message to database for security reason.

    Direct access *message*...???

    A network administrator can certainly restrict what can and cannot connect
    to SQL Server and/or the machine that it's running on...

    --
    http://www.markrae.net
    Mark Rae, May 17, 2007
  8. RE: Protocol or message pattern of SQL Server client and database

    Hi, Peter:

    I have checked the the setting for SQL Server Properties. Where to find
    "enable remote access" and what you described in the Enterprise Manager? But
    we found the following:

    1. Remote server connections: two options (seems for server to server)
    1.1. Allow other SQL Servers to connect remotely to this SQL server using
    RPC (Checked)
    1.2. Enforce distributed transactions (MTS) (unchecked)

    2. Security Authentication:
    2.1. SQL Server and Windows (not selected): means using both SQL Server ID
    and Windows ID
    2.2. Windows only (selected): means using windows ID and password

    David

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aWQ=?=, May 17, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aWQ=?=

    sloan Guest

    Re: Protocol or message pattern of SQL Server client and database

    2. Security Authentication:
    2.1. SQL Server and Windows (not selected): means using both SQL Server ID
    and Windows ID
    2.2. Windows only (selected): means using windows ID and password

    This means you're using Window/NT authentication. Aka, permissions need to
    be set up for

    mycompany/jsmith (nt login) in order to connect.

    I always setup using both. (which 2.1 is unchecked for you)

    uid=jimmy;pwd=jimmypassword

    If you see these in your connect string AND 2.1 is unchecked, it won't work.

    Either select 2.1 or give
    mycompany/jsmith the privs.

    Also remember, if you're using Asp.Net, you won't "be" mycompany/jsmith
    you'll be mymachine/AspNet (user account on the machine hosting IIS).

    If you're doing a windows service, you'll probably be mymachine/SYSTEM

    sloan, May 17, 2007