Psyco 64 bits

Luis P. Mendes

Hi,

I used Psyco to speed up my Python code.
Due to the great amount of data I have to proccess, I moved my Linux
system to a 64 bits version with more RAM.

It seems that Psyco cannot be used in such platforms.
Or is there another version of Psyco for 64 bits platform?

I googled and arrived to PyPy. But I don't know how to use it.
With psyco, I used to include two statements roughly at the beginning of
the script:
import psyco
psyco.full()

With PyPy, is there a similar way to try to speed up my script?

Luis

Bearophile

Luis P. Mendes:
It seems that Psyco cannot be used in such platforms.
Or is there another version of Psyco for 64 bits platform?
I googled and arrived to PyPy.  But I don't know how to use it.

Psyco will be updated, but probably not for 64 bit CPUs. At the moment
PyPy doesn't give you much speed up.
So you can try IronPython, but I don't think it will help. There's
also the Boo language, that's often fast enough.

If your code has few hot spots, then there are many solutions that can
be used. For example Cython, Weave, ShedSkin. Or writing external code
in C/C++/D/Fortran and interfacing with it with a plethora of means,
like ctypes, swig, PIL, Pyd, Boost.Python, Inline, and many other.
Running speed is a big problem in many Python programs, so they have
invented an army of possible solutions.

Bye,
bearophile