Pty for Windows (win32utils?)

Phil Tomson

There doesn't seem to be a Pty package for Windows.
I suspect that 'fork' is needed to do Pty.

Now that Win32Utils includes process (and as I recall, a 'fork'
implementation), what would be involved in porting Pty to Windows?

Phil

nobu.nokada

Hi,

At Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:54:42 +0900,
Phil Tomson wrote in [ruby-talk:113045]:
There doesn't seem to be a Pty package for Windows.

Windows doesn't provide pty feature.
I suspect that 'fork' is needed to do Pty.

Now that Win32Utils includes process (and as I recall, a 'fork'
implementation), what would be involved in porting Pty to Windows?

It's not the main problem.

Phil Tomson

Hi,

At Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:54:42 +0900,
Phil Tomson wrote in [ruby-talk:113045]:
There doesn't seem to be a Pty package for Windows.

Windows doesn't provide pty feature.

I suspected as much...
It's not the main problem.

What I'm wondering is if we can emulate it on Windows similar to how
'fork' is emulated in Win32Utils?

Phil

Daniel Berger

Hi,

At Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:54:42 +0900,
Phil Tomson wrote in [ruby-talk:113045]:
There doesn't seem to be a Pty package for Windows.

Windows doesn't provide pty feature.

I suspected as much...
It's not the main problem.

What I'm wondering is if we can emulate it on Windows similar to how
'fork' is emulated in Win32Utils?

Phil

It might be possible, but it would take some research. It might
require porting something like the Win32::Console Perl module, but I'm
guessing.

Regards,

Dan

nobu.nokada

Hi,

At Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:59:55 +0900,
Daniel Berger wrote in [ruby-talk:113956]:
It might be possible, but it would take some research. It might
require porting something like the Win32::Console Perl module, but I'm
guessing.

It seems like to curses rather than pty, which is quite
different. Pty slave must be look as a character device at
least, e.g., isatty() returns true.