Publishing a windows app

tshad

I have an app that I want to run in the folder on the server as on my
workstation.

But when I publish the app, I get an executable that installs the program.
And I can't find where it put it.

It creates an entry in my programs menu which I can find in my Documents and
Settings\ts\Start Menu folder. This happens to be a shortcut. But when you
look at the shortcut, there is nothing that tells me where the actual
applications and dlls are?

Where does it put it?

Is there a way to tell VS to just create the folders that I can move to the
server? I don't want to install each time I make a change, just move
everything but the .config files?

Also,

When you look at the Publish tab of the Properties, it has a Publishing
Folder Location (which is a file location - c:\publish). There is also an
Installation Folder URL (not sure what this is for).

I want the program to run out of a folder on the C drive (C:\Auto).

I also want the program to run from the Schedular. But the Server will not
be logged on.

Is there a way to get the Server to run the program in this manner? Give it
a context to run under?

Thanks,

Tom

Andrew Morton

tshad said:
I have an app that I want to run in the folder on the server as on my
workstation.

But when I publish the app, I get an executable that installs the
program. And I can't find where it put it.

It creates an entry in my programs menu which I can find in my
Documents and Settings\ts\Start Menu folder. This happens to be a
shortcut. But when you look at the shortcut, there is nothing that
tells me where the actual applications and dlls are?

Where does it put it?

Is there a way to tell VS to just create the folders that I can move
to the server? I don't want to install each time I make a change,
just move everything but the .config files?

Just build your solution (see the Build menu) and look in the bin folder
(right-click in solution explorer and choose to open it in Windows
Explorer). That is where the executable and associated files will be.
Also,

When you look at the Publish tab of the Properties, it has a
Publishing Folder Location (which is a file location - c:\publish). There
is also an Installation Folder URL (not sure what this is for).

I want the program to run out of a folder on the C drive (C:\Auto).

I also want the program to run from the Schedular. But the Server
will not be logged on.

The server will not be logged on... to what? You don't need a user to be
logged on for a program to run.
Is there a way to get the Server to run the program in this manner? Give
it a context to run under?

Have you seen what options are available in Task Scheduler? You can choose
which account to run a task under. It is a good idea to use an account with
the least possible privileges to accomplish the task.

HTH

Andrew

tshad

Andrew Morton said:
Just build your solution (see the Build menu) and look in the bin folder
(right-click in solution explorer and choose to open it in Windows
Explorer). That is where the executable and associated files will be.

You're right.

I didn't realize that. I didn't think the .config files would be there -
but they are.
The server will not be logged on... to what? You don't need a user to be
logged on for a program to run.

If you are logged on the program will run under your context (using
permissions from that user), right?

That's why you need to tell a service or the Scheduler what user to run
under because it could be running with no one logged on so there would be no
user permission for that program at that point.
Have you seen what options are available in Task Scheduler? You can choose
which account to run a task under. It is a good idea to use an account
with the least possible privileges to accomplish the task.
I agree and that was the question. How do I tell the Scheduler from my web
page to execute a program set up in the scheduler? If I could get that to
work then I wouldn't need to worry about the context in my web page as the
context would be whatever it is set up in the Scheduler.

Thanks,

Tom

Andrew Morton

tshad said:
I agree and that was the question. How do I tell the Scheduler from
my web page to execute a program set up in the scheduler? If I could
get that to work then I wouldn't need to worry about the context in
my web page as the context would be whatever it is set up in the
Scheduler.

You can run a program independently of it being in the scheduled tasks,
especially if there is no problem with two instances of your program running
at the same time. I suspect that controlling scheduled tasks from ASP.NET
would be more difficult than finding out what isn't working when you try to
run the program from ASP.NET. I'd /expect/ that level of control to need
admin privileges. You would have to check for yourself.

Andrew