pure python data compression (zip)

Rene Maurer

Hallo

I wonder if there are any pure python implementations available/known
for the zip (or any other) data compression... As far as I know
python's zlib uses http://www.zlib.net/, which is written in
C. Unfortunately this is not solution for me, because my target "only"
has a python interpreter....

I have "googled" for a while, but I don't have found anything useful.

Regards,
René

Guilherme Polo

2007/10/23 said:
Hallo

I wonder if there are any pure python implementations available/known
for the zip (or any other) data compression... As far as I know
python's zlib uses http://www.zlib.net/, which is written in
C. Unfortunately this is not solution for me, because my target "only"
has a python interpreter....

I have "googled" for a while, but I don't have found anything useful.

Regards,
René

I have implemented Huffman in Python, it is not very fast yet. Further
improvements would requires writing some parts in C and use as a
module in Python, or maybe I just didn't think enough on how to
improve the python code.

If you don't know how huffman works, you may read this:
http://gpolo.ath.cx:81/implements/huffman
I have described the improvements I have done to this "teaching
version" here: http://gpolo.ath.cx:81/texts/opc

If you don't want to read at all, you can search at pypi for "huffman"

It doesn't have all the functionalities of any normal compressor, like
compressing directories, but it could be implemented of course.

Feedback is welcome

Rene Maurer

Guilherme Polo writes (23.10.2007):
I have implemented Huffman in Python, it is not very fast yet. Further
improvements would requires writing some parts in C and use as a
module in Python, or maybe I just didn't think enough on how to
improve the python code.

If you don't know how huffman works, you may read this:
http://gpolo.ath.cx:81/implements/huffman
I have described the improvements I have done to this "teaching
version" here: http://gpolo.ath.cx:81/texts/opc

Thank you very much. I will have a look this and try it out.
Regards,
René