    "first class" application as Apple has promised.

    Thank you,
    pedz

    Perry Smith, Aug 10, 2008

  2. Perry Smith

    Dolazy Guest

    On 10 aug, 15:53, Perry Smith <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know if it is possible to have a Ruby application that
    > receives Apple Events?  I assume it would be in an event loop.  Really,
    > what I'm asking is if I can create a pure Ruby app that behaves like a
    > "first class" application as Apple has promised.

    It may not be a bad idea to do a few standard Cocoa with Objective-C
    tutorials and familiarize yourself with the framework a bit.

    If you want to use Ruby there is a Cocoa wrapper called RubyCocoa, it
    is supported by Apple:
    http://developer.apple.com/document...ubyPythonCocoa/Introduction/Introduction.html

    I found one article that seems to deal with events:
    http://codeintensity.blogspot.com/2008/01/rubycocoa-rocks.html

    HTH

    Francis

    Dolazy, Aug 10, 2008

  3. Perry Smith

    hengist podd Guest

    Re: Pure Ruby App that receives Apple events

    Dolazy wrote:
    > I found one article that seems to deal with events:
    > http://codeintensity.blogspot.com/2008/01/rubycocoa-rocks.html

    Installing event handlers via NSAppleEventManager is fine for simple
    tasks. For full-blown scripting interfaces that expose a query-able
    object model a-la Finder, Mail, etc., Cocoa Scripting would be more
    appropriate (if a bear to get right). Matt Neuburg - who often lurks
    around this list - would be the best person to speak to.

    HTH

    has
    --
    Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
    http://appscript.sourceforge.net

    hengist podd, Aug 10, 2008
  4. Perry Smith

    John Joyce Guest

    On Aug 10, 2008, at 3:20 PM, hengist podd wrote:

    > Dolazy wrote:
    >> I found one article that seems to deal with events:
    >> http://codeintensity.blogspot.com/2008/01/rubycocoa-rocks.html

    > Installing event handlers via NSAppleEventManager is fine for simple
    > tasks. For full-blown scripting interfaces that expose a query-able
    > object model a-la Finder, Mail, etc., Cocoa Scripting would be more
    > appropriate (if a bear to get right). Matt Neuburg - who often lurks
    > around this list - would be the best person to speak to.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > has
    > --
    > Control AppleScriptable applications from Python, Ruby and ObjC:
    > http://appscript.sourceforge.net

    Also take a look at MacRuby
    It is still in it's formative stages, but is the next level of
    bridging Ruby and Cocoa.

    John Joyce, Aug 11, 2008