pyAlbum.py - Python Album Generator

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Premshree=20Pillai?=

Hello people,

I recently updated one of my Python scripts --
pyAlbum.py
This is a simple, command-line based, lightweight
Python script to create an image album.

Of course, there are plenty of image album creation
tools -- a lot of them are very good. But, I wanted
something very simple, something that doesn't scare
the user with too many options. The final album should
be clean -- something like what Zope's Image object
offers.

Here are some of the features of the script:
+ Thumbnail creation (using a scaling factor that the
user enters)
+ Image creation for the HTML of individual images
(again using a scaling factor that the user enters)
+ The album Index file includes dimensions and file
size of each image
+ The script generates a single CSS -- this makes
changing the style very simple
+ The script runs on the command-line, and does not
require any server-side processing

Other requirements:
+ Python Imaging Library
(http://www.pythonware.com/products/daily)

So, the idea of the script is -- Keep It As Simple As
Possible

You can see a sample of an album created using this
script at
http://www.premshree.resource-locator.com/python/pyAlbum/sample/index.htm

Oh, and the script itself is available at
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/271246

I hope it's useful.

Sincerely,
Premshree Pillai

Go to: http://in.insurance.yahoo.com/licspecial/index.html

Cousin Stanley

Premshree ....

Thanks for making your pyAlbum.py program available ....

A glimpse of what the Arizona desert east of Phoenix
toward Globe on highway US 60 looked like
last Sunday April 04, 2004 ....

http://fastq.com/~sckitching/Album_01

Photography by .... John C. Schluterbusch

The slide show was generated using
a locally edited version of your Python program
pyAlbum ....

http://premshree.resource-locator.com/python/pyAlbum.py

It took about 100 Seconds on this machine
to generate the SlideShow for 31 images,
which includes ....

Generating ThumbNails
Re-Sizing Images
Writing a CSS Style Sheet
Writing the Index HTML Page
Generating the Individual HTML Pages

This machine ....

Compaq ...... 250 MHz
Memory ...... 192 MB
System ...... Win98_SE
Python ...... 2.3 Enthought Edition
PIL ......... 1.1.4

So, for a S L O W machine,
100 Seconds ain't too bad ....

The edited version that I used ....

http://fastq.com/~sckitching/Python/pyAlbum.py

o Re-coded some of the l o n g string concatenations
and ''' Triple Quoted String ''' % ( w , x , y , z ... ) substitutions
into join( list_xxx ) function calls
which seemed a bit more readble/editable

o Added a prompt and code for Including/Excluding links
to Full-Size images

o All other changes are basically coding style cosmetics ....

Thanks again for a useful Python program ....