PyGTK

Huy

Hi, I'm new to Python, and GUI development, but am no novice to backend
programming. Aside from mastering the standard language, I will
eventually be developing applications dealing with images and controls.
Thus forth I have been testing out PyGTK & it appears to be quite
robust (that and I like the fact of cross-platform compatibility).

What I am curious to know is whether anyone has come across any
noteworthy gui development platforms. Cross compatibility is not a
must, but a bonus. Good documentation and clarity is essential for me.
Also, I imagine I can use modules for image manipulation in tandem
with the GUI interface? Any comments or speculations are looked
forward to. Just thought I'd see if there's anything out there the
community knows I may not be currently aware of.

rodmc

Well I have just started using Python and have found wxPython to be
pretty good, it is built upon the WxWindows framework.It is also
cross-platform. You can find it at www.wxpython.org.

It appears to be easy to understand and there are a few GUI builder
tools around for it as well.

Rod

Jeremy Sanders

Huy said:
What I am curious to know is whether anyone has come across any
noteworthy gui development platforms. Cross compatibility is not a
must, but a bonus. Good documentation and clarity is essential for me.
Also, I imagine I can use modules for image manipulation in tandem
with the GUI interface? Any comments or speculations are looked
forward to. Just thought I'd see if there's anything out there the
community knows I may not be currently aware of.

PyQt is very easy to use and Qt is well documented, see
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/

The main issue is whether the licence of your code is compatible with the
GPL licensing of Qt and PyQt. If not you will need a commercial license.

I've used it in combination with numarray for image manipulation (however
NumPy is probably better than numarray now). I suppose it depends on what
sort of image manipulation you need.

Jeremy

Dave Cook

Hi, I'm new to Python, and GUI development, but am no novice to backend
programming. Aside from mastering the standard language, I will
eventually be developing applications dealing with images and controls.
Thus forth I have been testing out PyGTK & it appears to be quite
robust (that and I like the fact of cross-platform compatibility).

This article may be of interest

http://pygtk.org/articles/bitpodder/BitPodder.htm

particularly the last section on how to create an EXE from your pygtk program.

Found at

http://pygtk.org

Dave Cook