PyGUI 1.6: A Note for MacOSX Users

greg

A small problem has come to light with PyGUI 1.6
on MacOSX systems.

If you get the following exception:

File "GUI/Generic/BaseAlertFunctions.py", line 5, in ?
ImportError: No module named Alerts

it's probably because you don't have PyObjC installed.

I will fix this to produce a more informative error
message in the next release.

What is PyGUI?
--------------

PyGUI is an experimental highly-Pythonic cross-platform
GUI API. Implementations are currently available for
MacOSX and Gtk. For a full description of the project
goals, see the PyGUI web page at the above address.

The current version is available from:

http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python_gui/

Alex Martelli

greg said:
A small problem has come to light with PyGUI 1.6
on MacOSX systems.

If you get the following exception:

File "GUI/Generic/BaseAlertFunctions.py", line 5, in ?
ImportError: No module named Alerts

it's probably because you don't have PyObjC installed.

I'm getting quite a different error:

[[snipped earlier parts of traceback]]
File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-pa
ckages/GUI/Cocoa/Applications.py", line 184, in init_application_name
ns_info['CFBundleName'] = GApplications.application_name
TypeError: object does not support item assignment

That's when I try (after installing PyGUI):

helen:~/Desktop/PyGUI-1.6/Demos alex$ python blobedit.py

MacOSX, XCode, Python and PyObjC all at the latest binary-released
levels, I believe (10.4.5, 2.2, 2.4.1, 1.3.6 respectively).

Alex

Greg Ewing

Alex said:
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-pa
ckages/GUI/Cocoa/Applications.py", line 184, in init_application_name
ns_info['CFBundleName'] = GApplications.application_name
TypeError: object does not support item assignment

You need to run your program with pythonw, not python.

Alex Martelli

Greg Ewing said:
Alex said:
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-pa
ckages/GUI/Cocoa/Applications.py", line 184, in init_application_name
ns_info['CFBundleName'] = GApplications.application_name
TypeError: object does not support item assignment

You need to run your program with pythonw, not python.

Thanks -- that was indeed my mistake. Dunno why I keep tripping over
that problem on the Mac;-).

Alex