Pylons and memory use?

John Salerno

Hi everyone. I was thinking about signing up with a web host that
supports Pylons (among many other things) and one of the differences
between the various plans is application memory for long-running
processes. The plan I'd like to sign up for has 80MB. Does anyone know
if this is enough for basic Pylons applications?

Just in general, how exactly can I calculate how much memory a Pylons
application (or any other type of application, for that matter) will
require? Is there some general range I might be able to rely on? Does
80MB seem like enough for just playing around and hobbyist work?

Thanks.

Joshua Kugler

John said:
Hi everyone. I was thinking about signing up with a web host that
supports Pylons (among many other things) and one of the differences
between the various plans is application memory for long-running
processes. The plan I'd like to sign up for has 80MB. Does anyone know
if this is enough for basic Pylons applications?

Just in general, how exactly can I calculate how much memory a Pylons
application (or any other type of application, for that matter) will
require? Is there some general range I might be able to rely on? Does
80MB seem like enough for just playing around and hobbyist work?

It would depend on what they define as "long running processes." If the
Python setup is correct, I would assume that it would be running under
mod_python or FastCGI or some such, and would not be considered a "long
running process" as such. I would assume the long running process would be
something other than the web app you want running in the back ground. Maybe
a queue processor, or something along those lines.

You may wish to ask for clarification. Sorry I can't help regarding memory
usage, you may wish to ask in the Pylons IRC channel or on their mailing
list.