    P.S.: Python 2.3.2 on Win2k, wxPython 2.4.2.4u, PyOpenGL (from
    PyOpenGL-2.0.1.07.py2.3-numpy23.exe), glut.dll (from GLUT 3.7.6) copied into
    \WINNT\System32.

    F. GEIGER, May 3, 2004

  2. F. GEIGER

    Peter Hansen Guest

    F. GEIGER wrote:

    > I wanted to look at the PyOpenGL demo in the wxPython demo, but had no luck:
    >
    > "Runtime Error
    > Program: C:\...\pythonw.exe
    > abnormal program termination"
    >
    > Has anyone overcome this problem?

    I have this as well after a recent upgrade and a series of other
    problems (which will never be reproducible), and it's still here
    after a re-install of all things Python-related. (So I assume I
    have some video driver problems.) I cannot say for sure that it
    ever worked on this machine as it's fairly new and I don't recall
    running any PyOpenGL on it since I got it.

    > P.S.: Python 2.3.2 on Win2k, wxPython 2.4.2.4u, PyOpenGL (from
    > PyOpenGL-2.0.1.07.py2.3-numpy23.exe), glut.dll (from GLUT 3.7.6) copied into
    > \WINNT\System32.

    Python 2.3.3 on WinXP, wxPython 2.5.1.5, same PyOpenGL, and no
    idea what glut.dll version I have. This is running the "GLCanvas"
    demo, as the old OpenGL demo appears to be gone in the latest
    wxPython release (or is it just a name-change?).

    (Don't know what glut.dll is or where it's from either... my
    last-modified date says 1998-08-11 but the attributes say it was
    created 2004-3-7. I'll dig further if it appears to be relevant.)

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, May 3, 2004

  3. Try installing Numarray. When the 2.0.1.07 binary was built the
    packager had Numarray installed, and for some god-unknown (and
    frustrating) reason just having the package installed appears to create
    a (pointless extra) dependency on Numarray when you link to Numpy.

    Everything else sounds fine,
    Mike

    Peter Hansen wrote:

    > F. GEIGER wrote:

    >> P.S.: Python 2.3.2 on Win2k, wxPython 2.4.2.4u, PyOpenGL (from
    >> PyOpenGL-2.0.1.07.py2.3-numpy23.exe), glut.dll (from GLUT 3.7.6)
    >> copied into
    >> \WINNT\System32.

    _______________________________________
    Mike C. Fletcher
    Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
    http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/

    Mike C. Fletcher, May 3, 2004
  4. F. GEIGER

    rzed Guest

    "F. GEIGER" <> wrote in

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I wanted to look at the PyOpenGL demo in the wxPython demo, but
    > had no luck:
    >
    > "Runtime Error
    > Program: C:\...\pythonw.exe
    > abnormal program termination"
    >
    > Has anyone overcome this problem?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance and best regards
    > Franz GEIGER
    >
    > P.S.: Python 2.3.2 on Win2k, wxPython 2.4.2.4u, PyOpenGL (from
    > PyOpenGL-2.0.1.07.py2.3-numpy23.exe), glut.dll (from GLUT 3.7.6)
    > copied into \WINNT\System32.

    I have a similar configuration on my system, except that I have a
    glut32.dll, and I have no problems running the demo. There are
    evidently several glut32.dll versions around.

    --
    rzed

    rzed, May 3, 2004
  5. # F. GEIGER ....

    >> OS .......... Win2k
    >> Python ...... 2.3.2
    >> wxPython .... 2.4.2.4u,
    >> PyOpenGL .... 2.0.1.07
    >> glut.dll .... (from GLUT 3.7.6) copied into \WINNT\System32.

    # Peter Hansen ....

    > OS .......... WinXP
    > Python ...... 2.3.3
    > wxPython .... 2.5.1.5,
    > PyOpenGL .... 2.0.1.07
    > glut.dll .... ????

    # Stanley C. Kitching

    OS ............ Win98_SE
    Python ........ 2.3 Enthought
    wxPython ...... 2.5.1.5
    PyOpenGL ...... 2.0.1.07
    glut.dll ...... None
    glut32.dll .... ???? in PyOpenGL dir

    Peter ....

    The wx PyOpenGL demo works OK here
    with the same combination of wx and OGL that you use,
    but different OS and Python versions ....

    --
    Cousin Stanley
    Human Being

    Cousin Stanley, May 3, 2004
  6. F. GEIGER

    Peter Hansen Guest

    rzed wrote:

    > I have a similar configuration on my system, except that I have a
    > glut32.dll, and I have no problems running the demo. There are
    > evidently several glut32.dll versions around.

    That is evidently my problem as well, since after following Mike's
    advice about numarray, the error changed to telling me that I
    don't have OpenGL installed... which is at least true as far as
    glut32.dll missing...

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, May 3, 2004
  7. F. GEIGER

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Peter Hansen wrote:
    > rzed wrote:
    >
    >> I have a similar configuration on my system, except that I have a
    >> glut32.dll, and I have no problems running the demo. There are
    >> evidently several glut32.dll versions around.

    > That is evidently my problem as well, since after following Mike's
    > advice about numarray, the error changed to telling me that I
    > don't have OpenGL installed... which is at least true as far as
    > glut32.dll missing...

    Okay, in spite of installing everything that I should have,
    I didn't have a glut32.dll on my machine. Google led me
    to http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html from where I
    downloaded a copy, manually stuck it in c:\windows\system32,
    and PyOpenGL works now.

    Now I see that this is on the pyopengl.sourceforge.net
    installation notes page... I don't recall installing this
    the same way last time, but there you go. Not only RTFM,
    but go back and read it again another time if things still
    don't work.

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, May 3, 2004
  8. F. GEIGER

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Peter Hansen wrote:

    > Okay, in spite of installing everything that I should have,
    > I didn't have a glut32.dll on my machine.

    I take the first part of that back. Turns out I never did
    install GLUT on this machine (obvious now) and it was the
    previous machine where I had the whole shebang running. If
    my memory weren't so bad I would have known and followed
    the detailed and excellent (thanks Mike! :) instructions
    like a good boy.

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, May 3, 2004
  9. F. GEIGER

    Doug Holton Guest

    Peter Hansen wrote:

    > Okay, in spite of installing everything that I should have,
    > I didn't have a glut32.dll on my machine. Google led me
    > to http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html from where I
    > downloaded a copy, manually stuck it in c:\windows\system32,
    > and PyOpenGL works now.
    >
    > Now I see that this is on the pyopengl.sourceforge.net
    > installation notes page... I don't recall installing this
    > the same way last time, but there you go. Not only RTFM,
    > but go back and read it again another time if things still
    > don't work.

    Right, but this means anytime you want to distribute a program using
    pyopengl you have to tell your users to manually install glut32.dll
    also. pyopengl should run without requiring glut if you do not use the
    glut functions, or else it should include a copy of glut32.dll itself.

    Doug Holton, May 3, 2004
  10. F. GEIGER

    F. GEIGER Guest

    Thank you, Mike,

    I installed Numarray 0.9 and that made the demo work (BTW, I had dropped
    glut32.dll into my system32, not glut.dll - sorry for that typo).

    Kind regards
    Franz

    F. GEIGER, May 3, 2004