Pypi (Cheeseshop) Score - derivation of ?

Discussion in 'Python' started by shearichard, Nov 25, 2010.

  1. shearichard

    shearichard Guest

    shearichard, Nov 25, 2010

  2. shearichard

    shearichard Guest

    On Nov 25, 3:54 pm, Ben Finney <> wrote:
    > shearichard <> writes:
    > > Hi - Anyone know how the score offered by Pypi is derived ?

    > Specifically, the score offered in response to a search query.
    >
    > > For instance in ...

    > >http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=search&term=spam&submit=search

    > > ... 'bud.nospam 1.0.1' has a score of 9 but 'pydspam 1.1.9' has a
    > > score of 7.

    > > Where are those numbers from and what do they mean ?

    > They are the relevance of the result to that particular search query. I
    > don't know the scale of the score or how it's derived, but that's the
    > intended meaning AFAIK.
    >
    > I think a better term than “score” could be chosen; perhaps you could
    > submit a bug report against PyPI.

    OK that makes sense. I thought it was some comment on how 'good' the
    package in question was !

    I will do as you say and submit a bug report to get the literal
    altered to something a little more self-explanatory.

    shearichard, Nov 25, 2010

  3. shearichard

    alex23 Guest

    On Nov 25, 11:57 am, shearichard <> wrote:
    > Hi - Anyone know how the score offered by Pypi is derived ?
    >
    > For instance in ...
    >
    > http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=search&term=spam&submit=search
    >
    > ... 'bud.nospam 1.0.1' has a score of 9 but 'pydspam 1.1.9' has a
    > score of 7.

    If you hover over the Score header in the results list, it says:

    Occurrence of search term weighted by field (name, summary, keywords,
    description, author, maintainer)

    I thought PyPI used to offer a 'kwality' score for packages, based on
    the presence of installers, doc files, tests etc. Does anyone know
    what happened to that?

    alex23, Nov 25, 2010
  4. > Occurrence of search term weighted by field (name, summary, keywords,
    > description, author, maintainer)
    >
    > I thought PyPI used to offer a 'kwality' score for packages, based on
    > the presence of installers, doc files, tests etc. Does anyone know
    > what happened to that?

    There was indeed a kwalitee computation (cheesecake); it is unmaintained.

    It is a urban myth that this had any impact on search results. It never did.

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. Loewis, Nov 25, 2010
  5. shearichard

    alex23 Guest

    "Martin v. Loewis" <> wrote:
    > There was indeed a kwalitee computation (cheesecake); it is unmaintained.

    Ah yes, I couldn't remember the particular mispelling the project
    used :)

    alex23, Nov 26, 2010