pypi compatible software

Aljosa Mohorovic

i've been searching for a recommended way to setup private pypi
repository and i've found several options:
- PloneSoftwareCenter
- http://code.google.com/p/pypione/
- http://pypi.python.org/pypi/haufe.eggserver
- http://www.chrisarndt.de/projects/eggbasket/
- http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ClueReleaseManager

so now i have a few questions:
- is code behind pypi.python.org available and why i can't find some
up-to-date official document or howto for private pypi repository
(maybe it exists but i just can't find it)?
- since python is used in commercial environments i guess they
actually have private pypi repositories, where can i find docs that
defines what pypi is and how to implement it?
- can you recommend 1 option (software providing pypi like service)
that can be easily installed and configured as a service running on
apache2/mod_wsgi, has an active community and docs howto setup?
- i did found http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0381/ - is this the
spec that above mentioned software is based upon?

any additional info or comments appreciated.

Aljosa Mohorovic

Martin v. Löwis

- is code behind pypi.python.org available and why i can't find some
up-to-date official document or howto for private pypi repository
(maybe it exists but i just can't find it)?

The code is at

https://svn.python.org/packages/

Instructions for installing it are at

http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopDev

I don't know why you can't find it, perhaps you didn't search long
enough.
- since python is used in commercial environments i guess they
actually have private pypi repositories, where can i find docs that
defines what pypi is and how to implement it?

IMO, there can't possibly be a "private pypi repository". By (my)
definition, PyPI is *the* Python Package Index - anything else holding
packages can't be *the* index. So: pypi is a short name for the machine
pypi.python.org, and it is not possible to "implement" it elsewhere,
unless you have write access to the nameserver of python.org.

Maybe you are asking for a specification of how setuptools and
easy_install access the index, to build package repositories other than
PyPI. This is specified at

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#package-index-api

If you are asking for something else, please be more explicit what
it is that you ask for.
- can you recommend 1 option (software providing pypi like service)
that can be easily installed and configured as a service running on
apache2/mod_wsgi, has an active community and docs howto setup?

If you want a plain package repository, I recommend to use Apache
without any additional software. It's possible to provide a package
repository completely out of static files - no dynamic code is
necessary.
- i did found http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0381/ - is this the
spec that above mentioned software is based upon?

No, that's what the title of the document says: a "Mirroring
infrastructure for PyPI".

Regards,
Martin