PyPi Module Removal

Brian Rak

I was trying to install wxPython earlier today. Not RTFMing, I tried
'easy_install wx', which ended up installing this strange module:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/wx

Looking at the download stats, it seems to be confusing ~1000 users a
month, while not providing any significant functionality.

I don't really have any way to contact the author of the module. Is
there any way to have this deleted/renamed?

Steven D'Aprano

I was trying to install wxPython earlier today. Not RTFMing, I tried
'easy_install wx', which ended up installing this strange module:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/wx

Looking at the download stats, it seems to be confusing ~1000 users a
month, while not providing any significant functionality.

Ah, Unix users. Who else would imagine that the way to install something
called "wxPython" was to use "install wx"?

:)

Skip Montanaro

Ah, Unix users. Who else would imagine that the way to install something
called "wxPython" was to use "install wx"?

I'm not a wxPython user, but it seems the package/module you import in your
programs is "wx". Not an unreasonable guess at the PyPI package name.

Skip

Brian Rak

I'm not a wxPython user, but it seems the package/module you import in
your programs is "wx". Not an unreasonable guess at the PyPI package name.

Skip

Yep, that was my thinking entirely. 'import wx' = 'pip install wx'.
Seems perfectly logical to me.