    --
    Regards,
    Casey
    Casey Hawthorne, Sep 11, 2006

  2. In <>, Casey Hawthorne wrote:

    > Similarly, for JPython (which is at Python 2.2?), could one also use a
    > lot smaller accompanying PVM with the JPython source code and JVM to
    > use Python 2.5 in its entirety?

    Could you define "small"? I think the PVM is already quite small.

    Ciao,
    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch
    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch, Sep 11, 2006

  3. Casey Hawthorne

    John Roth Guest

    Casey Hawthorne wrote:
    > Currently PyPy is working toward compiling to C a restricted subset of
    > Python, called RPython.
    >
    > Would it be possible for PyPy to "compile" the full subset of Python
    > by also using a lot smaller version of the PVM (Python Virtual
    > Machine) to go with the "compiled" code?
    > So, the user would be running the C object code and also a smaller
    > PVM!
    >
    > Or would this completely remove or severely reduce any speed advantage
    > of the compiled code?
    >

    > Similarly, for JPython (which is at Python 2.2?), could one also use a
    > lot smaller accompanying PVM with the JPython source code and JVM to
    > use Python 2.5 in its entirety?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Casey

    The PyPy project, as I understand it, is to have a version
    of Python that's entirely written in Python. The RPython
    modules are the ones that will be compiled into C so that
    they can then be compiled into a virtual machine. I doubt
    very much if there's anything that can be done to subset
    it further. Their direction on performance is toward a JIT
    (Just In Time compiler), not to put lots of code in C so
    that it runs fast.

    The same goes for both Java and the CLR (IronPython).
    I believe there are plans to subset the JVM in the
    2.7 release, but I have my doubts whether that will reduce
    the JVM footprint as far as running Jython is concerned.
    The intention is to reduce the initial footprint for runing the
    JVM under a browser.

    John Roth
    John Roth, Sep 11, 2006