PySol not working on WinXP, SP2

Ivan Van Laningham

Hi All--
I've been using PySol-4.40 for years, because that was the last Windows
installer version I could find. My wife's been using it for almost the
same length of time. That version's worked just fine on W98, W98SE, W2K
(server included), and WinXP SP1.

I upgraded to SP2 and pysol fails silently. Running 'python pysol.pyw'
gives me this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "pysol.pyw", line 64, in ?

imp.load_compiled("__main__", sys.argv[0])

ImportError: Bad magic number in C:\Program
Files\PySol-4.40\data\pysol.pyc

I can't find any later version on google, although I turned up a thread
on this list regarding running pysol in a later version on W98. I also
found http://avitous.net/software/pysol-windows/py23.shtml but the
version he has REQUIRES ActiveState python 2.2, even though he says he's
put together a version for 2.3--and of course, I'm running Python 2.4.

My wife's going to be force to upgrade to SP2 some of these days, and
she won't be happy if her solitaire doesn't work. Does anyone have a
working version? Anyone know what happened to Markus ... Oberhumer?

Metta,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.andi-holmes.com/
Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours

Rocco Moretti

Ivan said:
Hi All--
I've been using PySol-4.40 for years, because that was the last Windows
installer version I could find. My wife's been using it for almost the
same length of time. That version's worked just fine on W98, W98SE, W2K
(server included), and WinXP SP1.

I upgraded to SP2 and pysol fails silently. Running 'python pysol.pyw'
gives me this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "pysol.pyw", line 64, in ?

imp.load_compiled("__main__", sys.argv[0])

ImportError: Bad magic number in C:\Program
Files\PySol-4.40\data\pysol.pyc

Are you sure you're using the Python version (2.3, 2.4 etc) that the
Pysol .pyw files were compiled for? As I understand it, that's what the
"magic number" is - a versioning number for the .pyc/.pyw files which
changes when the Python version is upped.

If you had multiple versions of Python installed on your machine,
upgrading to SP2 might have muddled your file associations.

Terry Reedy

Rocco Moretti said:
Are you sure you're using the Python version (2.3, 2.4 etc) that the
Pysol .pyw files were compiled for? As I understand it, that's what the
"magic number" is - a versioning number for the .pyc/.pyw files which
changes when the Python version is upped.

If you had multiple versions of Python installed on your machine,
upgrading to SP2 might have muddled your file associations.

2.4 came out about the same time as SP2. If the .pyc files worked with
2.3, I am pretty sure they will not work with 2.4 since I am pretty sure
the marshal format (used to make .pycs) was changed slightly for 2.4 after
no change for a few releases. It will change again for 2.5.

Python is intended to be distributed as readable source. .pycs are
intended to be temporary caches, only kept around to avoid recompiling with
every run, but certainly disposable with version changes.

Terry J. Reedy