Python 2.3.3 compilation problems an HP-UX

Olaf Meyer

I'm having some problems compiling Python 2.3.3 on HP-UX (B.11.00).
I've tried sevral different options for the configure script (e.g.
enabling/disabling gcc, aCC) but I always get the same problem during
the final linking stage. Several PyThread_* symbols are undefined (for
details see the output below).

In order to get DCOracle2 support working I've also set the LDFLAGS
environment variable to "-lpthread -lcl" (as mentioned in the
README.HP-HX file).

I would really appreciate any advice!

Here's the output of the final stage of my build process:

rm -f libpython2.3.a
ar cr libpython2.3.a Modules/getbuildinfo.o
ar cr libpython2.3.a Parser/acceler.o Parser/grammar1.o
Parser/listnode.o Parser/node.o Parser/parser.o Parser/parsetok.o
Parser/bitset.o Parser/metagrammar.o Parser/firstsets.o
Parser/grammar.o Parser/pgen.o Parser/myreadline.o Parser/tokenizer.o
ar cr libpython2.3.a Objects/abstract.o Objects/boolobject.o
Objects/bufferobject.o Objects/cellobject.o Objects/classobject.o
Objects/cobject.o Objects/complexobject.o Objects/descrobject.o
Objects/enumobject.o Objects/fileobject.o Objects/floatobject.o
Objects/frameobject.o Objects/funcobject.o Objects/intobject.o
Objects/iterobject.o Objects/listobject.o Objects/longobject.o
Objects/dictobject.o Objects/methodobject.o Objects/moduleobject.o
Objects/object.o Objects/obmalloc.o Objects/rangeobject.o
Objects/sliceobject.o Objects/stringobject.o Objects/structseq.o
Objects/tupleobject.o Objects/typeobject.o Objects/weakrefobject.o
Objects/unicodeobject.o Objects/unicodectype.o
ar cr libpython2.3.a Python/bltinmodule.o Python/exceptions.o
Python/ceval.o Python/compile.o Python/codecs.o Python/errors.o
Python/frozen.o Python/frozenmain.o Python/future.o Python/getargs.o
Python/getcompiler.o Python/getcopyright.o Python/getmtime.o
Python/getplatform.o Python/getversion.o Python/graminit.o
Python/import.o Python/importdl.o Python/marshal.o
Python/modsupport.o Python/mystrtoul.o Python/mysnprintf.o
Python/pyfpe.o Python/pystate.o Python/pythonrun.o
Python/structmember.o Python/symtable.o Python/sysmodule.o
Python/traceback.o Python/getopt.o Python/dynload_hpux.o
Python/thread.o
ar cr libpython2.3.a Modules/config.o Modules/getpath.o
Modules/main.o Modules/gcmodule.o
ar cr libpython2.3.a Modules/threadmodule.o
Modules/signalmodule.o Modules/posixmodule.o Modules/errnomodule.o
Modules/_sre.o Modules/_codecsmodule.o Modules/zipimport.o
Modules/symtablemodule.o Modules/xxsubtype.o
ranlib libpython2.3.a
c++ -lpthread -lcl -Wl,-E -Wl,+s -o python \
Modules/python.o \
libpython2.3.a -lnsl -lrt -ldld -lm
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
PyThread_acquire_lock (first referenced in libpython2.3.a(main.o))
(code)
PyThread_exit_thread (first referenced in libpython2.3.a(main.o)) (code)
PyThread_allocate_lock (first referenced in libpython2.3.a(main.o))
(code)
PyThread_free_lock (first referenced in libpython2.3.a(main.o)) (code)
PyThread_start_new_thread (first referenced in
libpython2.3.a(main.o)) (code)
PyThread_release_lock (first referenced in libpython2.3.a(main.o))
(code)
PyThread_get_thread_ident (first referenced in
libpython2.3.a(main.o)) (code)
PyThread__init_thread (first referenced in libpython2.3.a(main.o))
(code)
*** Error exit code 1

Thanks,
Olaf

Aahz

I'm having some problems compiling Python 2.3.3 on HP-UX (B.11.00).
I've tried sevral different options for the configure script (e.g.
enabling/disabling gcc, aCC) but I always get the same problem during
the final linking stage. Several PyThread_* symbols are undefined (for
details see the output below).

I'd suggest that you look at the recent threads about compiling for
HP-UX on python-dev. It's starting to look like a SIG might be a good
way to go.

Olaf Meyer

Aahz said:
I'd suggest that you look at the recent threads about compiling for
HP-UX on python-dev. It's starting to look like a SIG might be a good
way to go.

Thanks for pointing me there. It seems that there's some clean-up needed
for HP-UX. Luckily compiling 2.2.1 works fine for me, so I think I'll
stick with it until the 2.3 versions compile with HP-UX 'out-of-the-box' ;-)

Olaf

Michael Hudson

Olaf Meyer said:
Thanks for pointing me there. It seems that there's some clean-up
needed for HP-UX. Luckily compiling 2.2.1 works fine for me, so I
think I'll stick with it until the 2.3 versions compile with HP-UX
'out-of-the-box' ;-)

Hmm. The 2.3 versions compile out of the box on *some* versions of
HP-UX, because Anthony and I did it, on the Compaq testdrive machines.
But I think they're 11.20 or so. Bah.

Cheers,
mwh