    David Holt
    Software Developer
    HighJump Software, a 3M Company
    DavidHolt, Jan 5, 2005

  2. DavidHolt

    It's me Guest

    I am running 2.3 and it's doing the same thing on my computer - except that
    I can't even get it to start from the command prompt.

    It used to work but after I switched back and forth between 2.3, and 2.4 and
    somewhere in between, it stopped working.

    I hope somebody on the list would have a clue how to fix this.

    It's me, Jan 5, 2005

  3. DavidHolt

    Peter Hansen Guest

    DavidHolt wrote:
    > I have a problem that I see on two different machines, one running XP
    > SP1 and one XP SP 2.

    Works fine here. (First time I've run it though... don't use it.)

    > On both I installed Python 2.4.
    >
    > I can't seem to start IDLE. When I try to start it, I get an hourglass
    > cursor for a short time then nothing more happens. This happens whether
    > I click the IDLE shortcut or click the pythonw.exe directly, or attempt
    > to launch pythonw from a command line.

    Try python.exe instead of pythonw.exe, also from the command line.
    That should give you *some* kind of additional detail.

    > I don't have any trouble running the python command line version.

    Do you mean "python.exe" here? Are you saying that you
    can run IDLE using python.exe, but not using pythonw.exe?
    Or something else? It's not clear.

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Jan 5, 2005
  4. DavidHolt

    Jeff Shannon Guest

    DavidHolt wrote:

    > I have a problem that I see on two different machines, one running XP
    > SP1 and one XP SP 2.
    >
    > On both I installed Python 2.4.
    >
    > I can't seem to start IDLE. When I try to start it, I get an hourglass
    > cursor for a short time then nothing more happens. This happens whether
    > I click the IDLE shortcut or click the pythonw.exe directly, or attempt
    > to launch pythonw from a command line.

    Maybe I'm misinterpreting you, here, but pythonw.exe is *not* IDLE.
    It is, instead, a console-less version of the Python interpreter,
    which can run the Python scripts for IDLE (among other things).

    My version of Python is older, but in %pythondir%/Tools/idle, there is
    an idle.pyw file. Try running that. If it doesn't work, then copy &
    paste any error messages (you'll probably need to run it from a
    command line for this) to your next post here so that we can try to
    troubleshoot a bit more effectively.

    Jeff Shannon
    Technician/Programmer
    Credit International
    Jeff Shannon, Jan 5, 2005
  5. DavidHolt

    It's me Guest

    In my case, there is *no* error message of any kind. When I run pythonw.exe
    from the python23 directory, the screen blinked slightly and goes back to
    the command prompt.

    It's me, Jan 5, 2005
  6. Jeff Shannon wrote:
    > DavidHolt wrote:
    >> I have a problem that I see on two different machines, one running XP
    >> SP1 and one XP SP 2.... On both I installed Python 2.4.
    >> I can't seem to start IDLE. When I try to start it, I get an hourglass
    >> cursor for a short time then nothing more happens. This happens whether
    >> I click the IDLE shortcut or click the pythonw.exe directly, or attempt
    >> to launch pythonw from a command line.

    > Maybe I'm misinterpreting you, here, but pythonw.exe is *not* IDLE. It
    > is, instead, a console-less version of the Python interpreter, which can
    > run the Python scripts for IDLE (among other things).
    >
    > My version of Python is older, but in %pythondir%/Tools/idle, there is
    > an idle.pyw file. Try running that.

    On 2.4, the directory is:

    %pythondir%/Lib/idlelib

    Remember that for Windows, \ is the separator. SO, change an idle
    shortcut to, for example:

    C:\Python24\Python.exe C:\Python24\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw

    I suspect your real problem is the internal firewall in XP,
    in which case you'll need to allow building sockets to LOCALHOST
    (127.0.0.1) on port 8833, or, alternatively, start idle with the
    "-n" flag.

    --Scott David Daniels
    Scott David Daniels, Jan 5, 2005
  7. DavidHolt

    Jeff Shannon Guest

    It's me wrote:

    > In my case, there is *no* error message of any kind. When I run pythonw.exe
    > from the python23 directory, the screen blinked slightly and goes back to
    > the command prompt.

    Right -- pythonw.exe is a console-less interpreter. Having no
    console, it doesn't have an interactive mode, and since you didn't
    give it a script to run, it simply started, found nothing to do, and
    then terminated itself.

    You need to run idle.pyw, *not* pythonw.exe. The idle.pyw script runs
    inside the pythonw.exe interpreter, but the latter can't do anything
    without instructions.

    Jeff Shannon
    Technician/Programmer
    Credit International
    Jeff Shannon, Jan 5, 2005
  8. DavidHolt

    DavidHolt Guest

    Thanks--you were all a big help. I'm running now.

    :)
    DavidHolt, Jan 5, 2005
  9. DavidHolt

    It's me Guest