Python 2.5 bindings for Subversion 1.4.2 on Win32 binary

patkinson

Hello,

I am one of those guys trying with no chance to get a working copy of
TRAC for python 2.5

http://trac.edgewall.org/ is a superb Project managment tool with a
wiki, control version (SVN), and a tracking bug/task system.
This is a suposed place to go for a windows user:
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracOnWindows/Python2.5

You are able to:
- Install a subversion server 1.4.2 (like a windows service).
- Install python 2.5
- Install Genshi 0.3.4
- Install Setuptools
- Install Trac (0.11dev) from the last development source.

But you need a Python 2.5 binding to be able to talk to a subversion
repository, and this is a road to nowhere (cul de sac) issue.

He is a post from Brandt, Servatius to the Subversion users list
asking for this:
http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-12/0041.shtml

The people at TRAC and Subversion says: this is a topic not concerning
their software.
Please, could be any interested team o person in the python Comunity to
adapt a python 2.5 interface to SVN ?

Great python Projects like TRAC or DJANGO are the "keys" to a wide
acceptance of python. Making this easy to the final users is (in my
opinion) a survival question for the future of Python.

Thanks
Peter Atkinson

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

patkinson said:
Great python Projects like TRAC or DJANGO are the "keys" to a wide
acceptance of python. Making this easy to the final users is (in my
opinion) a survival question for the future of Python.

Please note that threatening is useless most of the time in free
software. Very few people will agree that the future of Python depends
on provision of a subversion module for Python 2.5 on Win32, anyway.

If you need this, you would work on making it happen yourself, or
you should hire somebody to make it for you if you can't do it
yourself.

Regards,
Martin

patkinson

Yes Martin,

You are right. I'm not trying to threat any one. My excuses to you with
that (infortunated) paragraph.

Thanks anyway for your suggestion. My intention was to motivate other
people with the same interests, or to find another way or patch, to
keep Trac working.

Regards
P. Atkinson

Martin v. Löwis ha escrito:

Fredrik Lundh

patkinson said:
Great python Projects like TRAC or DJANGO are the "keys" to a wide
acceptance of python. Making this easy to the final users is (in my
opinion) a survival question for the future of Python.

any special reason why you cannot use the *recommended* releases in-
stead of playing with bleeding edge development code and "use only if
you don't need to interface with subversion" instructions, and then
complain when you cannot get it to work?

simple instructions for installing Trac 0.10 on Windows can be found here:

http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracOnWindows/Rewrite

that page contains direct links to Python and Subversion installers, and
a "all-in-one" installation scripts that fixes the rest.

subversion bindings for Python on Windows can be found here:

http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=91

</F>