    What do you think??
    Chris
    , Jul 3, 2007

  2. > Hi
    > I'm considering learning Python...but with the python 3000 comming
    > very soon, is it worth waiting for?? I know that the old style of
    > coding python will run parallel with the new, but I mean, its going to
    > come to an end eventually.
    >
    > What do you think??
    > Chris

    99% of what you would learn from python 2.x will be useful for python 3.0.

    HTH,
    Daniel
    Daniel Nogradi, Jul 3, 2007

  3. <> wrote:

    > I'm considering learning Python...but with the python 3000 comming
    > very soon, is it worth waiting for?? I know that the old style of
    > coding python will run parallel with the new, but I mean, its going to
    > come to an end eventually.

    It will be years before Py3k is fully usable for "industrial-strength"
    programming: the language itself must stabilize, then the standard
    library, then third-party extensions. And migrating from Python 2.6 to
    Python 3000 will be very easy once the latter has all the 3rd party and
    standard library modules you need -- just as moving from 2.5 to 2.6 will
    be. So, there's really no reason to wait: start learning Python with
    2.5, the solid implementation available right now and with tons of 3rd
    party extensions, tools, etc, and there will just be tiny amounts of
    effort required to eventually move up a long time in the future.

    Alex
    Alex Martelli, Jul 3, 2007