Python class method as an argument of a function in a C extension

mauro

Hi all,

I am trying to wrap some C code using SWIG (win32, mingw). I am new to
SWIG and to the Python/C API so what I am doing is looking at the
examples and trying to fit them to my needs, but I cannot find any
complete demo example of a C function taking as an argument a Python
function defined by the user.

What I am trying to do is to pass a class method as an argument of a
function defined in a C extension:

# file: runme.py

import myCExtensionModule

class MyClass:
def __init__(self):
self.myCounter = 0
self.myVar = 0
def myMethod(self, myArg):
self.myCounter += 1
return self.myVar + myArg
def runMe(self):
myCExtensionModule.aCFunction(self.myMethod, 10)

x = MyClass()
x.runMe()

# end of runme.py

Can anybody give me an hint (or some link) on how to define
'aCFunction' and how to call 'self.myMethod' in the C source code?

Thank you very much for any kind of help!

Matimus

Can anybody give me an hint (or some link) on how to define
'aCFunction' and how to call 'self.myMethod' in the C source code?

A python function defined in C accepts a pointer to self and a tuple
of arguments, each of which is also a PyObject. If you pass a function
or method, it will be included in the tuple of arguments. I don't
think there is any difference between passing a method and a function.
You can call that method using functions in the `Object Protocol'
section of the API, such as PyObject_Call(...).

Here is an example from the Python documentation:
http://docs.python.org/ext/callingPython.html

The first part shows how to get a function as an argument. The
following bits of code show how to actually call that function.The
example uses PyEval_CallObject, which I can't find documentation to.
I'm not sure if it even exists (it may be a documentation error). But
from the example it seems to work exactly the same as
PyObject_CallObject.

Matt

mauro

[...]

Thanks a lot!
At last I succeeded in finding an example:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/1999-May/003441.html
This uses exactly the PyObject_CallObject, as you suggest.

Mauro