python-devel installed; can't find distutils.core

Tristan Miller

Greetings.

I'm trying to install a Python program, rawdog, on a system running SuSE
9.0. I have Python 2.3 and the development package installed via apt4rpm,
so distutils should be there. But for some reason Python thinks
otherwise:

port-3108:/tmp/rawdog-1.13 # python ./setup.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./setup.py", line 3, in ?
from distutils.core import setup
ImportError: No module named distutils.core

port-3108:/tmp/rawdog-1.13 # head -3 setup.py
#!/usr/bin/env python

from distutils.core import setup

port-3108:/tmp/rawdog-1.13 # python -V
Python 2.3+

port-3108:/tmp/rawdog-1.13 # rpm -q python python-devel
python-2.3-52
python-devel-2.3.1-0

port-3108:/tmp/rawdog-1.13 #

Any ideas on what's causing this and how to fix it?

Regards,
Tristan

Tristan Miller

Greetings.

I'm trying to install a Python program, rawdog, on a system running SuSE
9.0. I have Python 2.3 and the development package installed via
apt4rpm, so distutils should be there. But for some reason Python thinks
otherwise[...]

port-3108:/tmp/rawdog-1.13 # rpm -q python python-devel
python-2.3-52
python-devel-2.3.1-0

Apparently the problem was in the python-devel RPM, which does not include
distutils. I downgraded to version 2.3-49 and now distutils has magically
appeared.

Have the distutils officially moved out of the development package to some
other package, or did whoever make the python-devel-2.3.1-0 RPM screw up?

Regards,
Tristan