Python Developers Handbook

Robert Kern

phil said:
Not taking a position for or against the original post:

Everytime this comes up, on any group, one little annoying
post results in and endless discussion and sometimes
hurtful flame war.

Ah, USENET!
Perhaps the rest of us should let the moderator handle it
and get back to something interesting, like Python.

There is no moderator. We are all moderators.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Robert Kern

Andrew said:
I am Spartacus!

We are all Kosh.

Well, if we're starting on the Vorlon quotes, this one seems germane:

"The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Maxwell Hammer

Your understanding of Usenet is that a post has to "appeal" (for the
want of a better word) to the majority of the NG readership.

Look over a hundred people took a look (and the hits are steadily
going up whether despite or because of this thread). I am not going to
posit either way as to whether that amounts to vindication but it does
suggsest that I have not comitted the heinous crime against netiquette
that some people are making out.

Actually you're making a mistake there:
Maybe 100 people took a look at Wook's book, but a lot more than 100 people
were pissed off at yet another Commercial post.
Next time use the "announce" NG.

Always ask youself...so if 2 billion people did what I'm about to do,
will it make a big stink? Most times the answer is: a huge stink.

Cheers.

wooks

I am not mistaken at all and the use of hyperbole (2 billion!!!!)
doesn't make your point .

A post that piques the interest of even 50 people in an NG is a valid
one. No doubt some people would be annoyed about a job posting of a
Python vacancy... others would be interested in it...

The original complainer expanded his complaint to say that I had not
included sufficient information. I addressed that and apologised. For
many that would have been the end of the matter.

Since you want to talk about Usenet at large

1. I have made similar posts regarding books in my library to other
NG's.
2. This is the only NG where anybody has complained (apart from your
postage/starting price is too high).
3. This book has achieved the highest number of hits (179) than any
other book I have promoted in this way. More even than a football book
on the history of the Arsenal v Spurs fixture that I posted to both the
Arsenal and Spurs NG (only managed 160).

So the only NG that complained is the one that showed the most
interest.

What is far more off-topic for this NG are the posts pontificating
about netiquette and usenet when really they are just whinges.

Dennis Lee Bieber

So the only NG that complained is the one that showed the most
interest.
Remember -- this newsgroup is ALSO gateway'd through a mailing
list. The readership may be much larger than your highly focused sports
group; and those receiving the mailing list version may be for critical
of referrals to auctions/sales.