    Geert

    *Use EcoCho <http://www.ecocho.com>: environmentally friendly search the
    internet!*

    Geert Vancompernolle, Feb 10, 2009

  2. > Is it possible to write DLL's in Python for applications that only
    > provide C++ interfaces? Example: NotePad++ is extendible by writing C++
    > DLL's which can call the NotePad++ interfaces.

    Not directly, no. You have to write a C++ DLL which then can delegate
    all calls to it to some Python function, and likewise expose Notepad++
    API to Python.

    > I wonder if those DLL's also can be written in Python, which in the end
    > calls the C++ interfaces of NotePad++...

    The actual logic can be in Python, but you do need a C++ wrapper module.

    OTOH, if Notepad++ would also support COM/ActiveX plugins, then those
    could directly be written in Python (assuming the COM interfaces
    supported automation).

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. Löwis, Feb 10, 2009