Python *eggs* on Win32

Srijit Kumar Bhadra

I have browsed the following links
1) http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall
2) When Python *Eggs* better than Python *distutils*?? What's Eggs?
(http://tinyurl.com/m8dyd)

But I am still not clear what to do with an .egg file. For example, if
I have a basic Python installation
(http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.3/python-2.4.3.msi) what should I
do with a typical .egg file (e.g.
http://cheeseshop.python.org/packages/2.4/l/lxml/lxml-1.1alpha-py2.4-static-win32.egg)?

I have only MinGW GCC compiler on my Win XP machine. Is it mandatory to
have Internet connection during installation of .egg files?

Best Regards,
Srijit

Srijit Kumar Bhadra

I got the answers myself. Thanks to http://tinyurl.com/ld2c9. With just
basic installation of Python on Win32 (i.e.
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.3/python-2.4.3.msi) it is possible
to install .egg files (Python Eggs).

1) download http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py
2) run ez_setup.py
3) download
http://cheeseshop.python.org/packages/2.4/l/lxml/lxml-1.1alpha-py2.4-static-win32.egg
4) In dos command line go to the same directory where
lxml-1.1alpha-py2.4-static-win32.egg has been downloaded
5) From dos command line type
d:\python24\scripts\easy_install lxml-1.1alpha.win32-static-py2.4.exe

That's all. But Note:
a) for running ez_setup.py (which is a bootstrap module) unrestricted
Internet connection is necessary.

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall?action=highlight&value=EasyInstall
has all the answers.

I am still not sure:
a) Whether it is always sufficient to have only MinGW GCC installation
on my Win XP machine and not MS Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
Srijit