Python for .NET preview 2 release

Discussion in 'Python' started by Brian Lloyd, Aug 9, 2003.

  1. Brian Lloyd

    Brian Lloyd Guest

    For those interested, I've made a preview-2 release of
    Python for .NET.

    Python for .NET is a near-seamless integration of the
    CPython runtime with the .NET Common Language Runtime
    (CLR). It lets you script and build applications in
    Python, using CLR services and components written in any
    language that targets the CLR (C#, Managed C++, VB.NET,
    etc.).

    Highlights of this release include array and indexer
    support, better thread handling, the ability to subclass
    managed classes in Python and many bug fixes.

    For more info or to download the release:

    http://zope.org/Members/Brian/PythonNet/

    - Brian

    Brian Lloyd, Aug 9, 2003

  2. Brian Lloyd

    John J. Lee Guest

    "Bryan" <> writes:

    > is this the same visual python .net that at activestate? i didn't
    > know they python .net is still moving forward. i also thought i
    > read somewhere that there were some limitations about using a
    > typeless language on the clr. is this not true anymore?

    Visual Python is a plugin for the Visual Studio IDE, I believe.

    Python.NET was an implementation of Python directly on the CLR virtual
    machine. It never got anywhere, and never will -- the CLR is hostile
    to languages like Python.

    I think Python for .NET is an interoperability framework -- I presume
    you can run CPython from .NET, and .NET from CPython, but it isn't
    Python *in* .NET.

    It would be nice if all this context were made clear on the Python for
    ..NET page.

    John

    John J. Lee, Aug 9, 2003

  3. Bryan wrote:
    > but kobra is a way to scripts .NET services from python, and is supposedly very fast and efficient. wasn't there a pycon speech
    > about this? is this the same Python.NET that was referenced in that speech?

    Probably, but not in the section you quote. Instead it is this:

    1. Use C#/PInvoke to access Python structures at the native level
    e.g. Python scripting for .NET by Brian Lloyd
    (http://www.zope.org/Members/Brian/PythonNet/index_html)

    > sorry, i was under the impression that all the different python .NET solutions
    > were giving way to Kobra as being the best python solution.

    Maybe your impression is wrong. Apparently, Brian Lloyd is not "giving
    way". It isn't clear to me, either, why Kobra would be the best solution
    when Python for .NET actually runs on Mono, whereas Kobra doesn't...

    > i thought the python community as a whole was going to rally around it....

    I doubt that the Python community as a whole cares very much about .NET

    This is free software. There is no centrally-controlled grand plan,
    except for the PSU plans of course, but I can't talk about these.

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Aug 9, 2003