python grep

Mag Gam

I am in the process of reading a zipped file which is about 6gb.

I would like to know if there is a command similar to grep in python
because I would like to emulate, -A -B option of GNU grep.

Lets say I have this,

083828.441,AA
093828.441,AA
094028.441,AA
094058.441,CC
094828.441,AA
103828.441,AA
123828.441,AA

if I do grep -A2 -B2 "CC"

I get 2 lines before and 2 lines after "C"

Is there an easy way to do this in python?

TIA

Peter Otten

Mag said:
I am in the process of reading a zipped file which is about 6gb.

I would like to know if there is a command similar to grep in python
because I would like to emulate, -A -B option of GNU grep.

Lets say I have this,

083828.441,AA
093828.441,AA
094028.441,AA
094058.441,CC
094828.441,AA
103828.441,AA
123828.441,AA

if I do grep -A2 -B2 "CC"

I get 2 lines before and 2 lines after "C"

Is there an easy way to do this in python?

from itertools import islice, groupby
from collections import deque

def grep(instream, ismatch, before, after):
items_before = None
for key, group in groupby(instream, ismatch):
if key:
if items_before is not None:
for item in items_before:
yield "before", item
else:
items_before = not None # ;)
for item in group:
yield "match", item
else:
if items_before is not None:
for item in islice(group, after):
yield "after", item
items_before = deque(group, maxlen=before)

def demo1():
with open(__file__) as instream:
for state, (index, line) in grep(enumerate(instream, 1),
ismatch=lambda (i, s): "item" in s,
before=2, after=2):
print "%3d %-6s %s" % (index, state + ":", line),

def demo2():
from StringIO import StringIO
import csv
lines = StringIO("""\
083828.441,AA
093828.441,AA
094028.441,AA
094058.441,CC
094828.441,AA
103828.441,AA
123828.441,AA
""")

rows = csv.reader(lines)
for state, row in grep(rows, lambda r: r[-1] == "CC", 1, 2):
print row

if __name__ == "__main__":
demo1()
demo2()