Python GTK import error

Discussion in 'Python' started by Douglas Soares de Andrade, Nov 23, 2004.

  1. Hi !

    The error is that the system ins't finding this lib:

    /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

    Try to see if your system has it.

    See ya !

    --
    Douglas Soares de Andrade - UnilesteMG
    Linux User: #237615

    Qianqian Fang, Nov 23, 2004

  3. no, the file is there, it actually links to another file:

    /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.400.13

    but both files are in the right locations.
    anything else that is suspecious to the problem?

    thanks

    Qianqian Fang, Nov 28, 2004
  4. Douglas Soares de Andrade

    Andrew James Guest

    Try checking the permissions on the link and the library - if you
    installed the module manually the permissions may not allow anyone but
    the root user to import the module.

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew James <>
    Andrew James, Nov 28, 2004
  5. sorry keep bugging you guys, but this is somehow a wield problem that
    I am eager to solve.

    I checked the permission and it looks fine to me:

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Nov 28 04:06 /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
    -> libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.400.13

    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2862900 Oct 15 14:23
    /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.400.13

    I even run with root, the error message "ImportError:
    /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
    atk_object_add_relationship" still comes out.

    I always try to avoid installing packages manually, rpm or apt-get is
    my preferred way. However, this time, it beats my working principle
    because this error message appeared after I upgraded packages using
    "synaptic", an apt-get GUI. now, I don't even trust apt-get:(

    Qianqian Fang, Nov 30, 2004
  6. Douglas Soares de Andrade

    Dave Cook Guest

    On 2004-11-23, Qianqian Fang <> wrote:
    > ImportError: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:

    Try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

    or wherever the .so is. If this works, add that dir to

    /etc/ld.so.conf

    and run (as root)

    ldconfig -v

    Dave Cook