Python GTK import error

Douglas Soares de Andrade

Hi !

The error is that the system ins't finding this lib:

/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

Try to see if your system has it.

See ya !

Qianqian Fang

hi

I installed Fedora Core 2 in my desktop and it has been running
flawlessly in the last few months until I upgraded some packages
(gtk/gtk-devel/python) to the latest version via apt-get. Now, when I
execute any system configuration gui program, i.e.
/usr/bin/system-config-*, it raises an error message as follows:

File "/usr/src/build/375621-i386/install/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py",
line 43, in ?
ImportError: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
atk_object_add_relationship

(the top line may vary, but the last line is the same for all of them)
and the script exits after the error.

I don't know if anybody met this before, and how can I fix it?
thank you very much!

Qianqian

Qianqian Fang

no, the file is there, it actually links to another file:

/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.400.13

but both files are in the right locations.
anything else that is suspecious to the problem?

thanks

Andrew James

Try checking the permissions on the link and the library - if you
installed the module manually the permissions may not allow anyone but
the root user to import the module.

Andrew

Qianqian Fang

sorry keep bugging you guys, but this is somehow a wield problem that
I am eager to solve.

I checked the permission and it looks fine to me:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Nov 28 04:06 /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
-> libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.400.13

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2862900 Oct 15 14:23
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.400.13

I even run with root, the error message "ImportError:
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
atk_object_add_relationship" still comes out.

I always try to avoid installing packages manually, rpm or apt-get is
my preferred way. However, this time, it beats my working principle
because this error message appeared after I upgraded packages using
"synaptic", an apt-get GUI. now, I don't even trust apt-get:(

Dave Cook

ImportError: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:

Try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

or wherever the .so is. If this works, add that dir to

/etc/ld.so.conf

and run (as root)

ldconfig -v

Dave Cook