Python IDLE GUI

Discussion in 'Python' started by Paul Dankoski, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. Hello. I downloaded and installed Windows Python-2.3.exe.
    The install appears to be successful. There is a Start menu
    item showing "Python 2.3" --> "IDLE (Python GUI)".

    When I select this, nothing appears on my Windows 2000 screen.

    However, if I look at the task manager, I see "pythonw.exe",
    which I assume applies that the process is indeed running.

    I expect some sort of GUI to open.

    I checked the INSTALL.LOG file. The only thing that possibly looks
    fishy is:

    Date/Time: Following file not copied.
    File Overwrite: C:\WINNT\system32\msvcirt.dll | 05-08-2001 | 06:00:00 |
    6.1.8637.0 | 77878 | 571d0e6
    Date/Time: Following file not copied.
    File Overwrite: C:\WINNT\system32\msvcrt.dll | 06-19-2003 | 12:05:04 |
    6.1.9844.0 | 295000 | 770c8856

    Any ideas on what I should try next?

    Thanks,

    Paul D.
    Paul Dankoski, Apr 19, 2004

  2. Paul Dankoski

    Arcane Guest

    Paul Dankoski wrote:

    > I checked the INSTALL.LOG file. The only thing that possibly looks
    > fishy is:
    >
    > Date/Time: Following file not copied.
    > File Overwrite: C:\WINNT\system32\msvcirt.dll | 05-08-2001 | 06:00:00
    > | 6.1.8637.0 | 77878 | 571d0e6
    > File Overwrite: C:\WINNT\system32\msvcrt.dll | 06-19-2003 | 12:05:04 |
    > 6.1.9844.0 |

    Those would be visual c runtime files (well, afaik msvcrt is), which is
    probably not the problem - see below.

    If you have a curious nature, and must know whether replacing those dlls
    would help, you could drop the required copies of the correct dlls(ie
    the ones that weren't installed above) in the application folder with
    idle, and leave the system32 directory alone, since iirc win 2000 allows
    for keeping app-relevant copies of the library in the application
    directory, and it will look there first for dlls the app wants. Backing
    up and replacing them in the system32 dir would only have the same
    effect on IDLE but also might mess up other applications by replacing
    them with a probably older version.

    > Hello. I downloaded and installed Windows Python-2.3.exe.
    > The install appears to be successful. There is a Start menu
    > item showing "Python 2.3" --> "IDLE (Python GUI)".
    >
    > When I select this, nothing appears on my Windows 2000 screen.

    I shouldn't take it personally if the dll's (or other possible issues
    you might notice) aren't the problem, there seem to be quirks with
    Python2.3/Tkinter apps on the NT-type windowses, often amounting to an
    inexplicable failure to do anything at all even on a simple
    blah=Tkinter.Tk().

    That's even outside of IDLE, which can also stuff up use of Tkinter
    itsself - it certainly clashes with other Tkinter apps on win32, if
    anybody knows of the reason/s for the problems with
    win32/Python23/Tkinter, I'd be interested to know.

    Incidentally, a quiet hello to the list, please forgive my antisocial
    lurking/uninvited posting :)

    Arca.

    PS: All this is ignoring redundant statements of the obvious re: the
    shortcut being correct, or closing other TK apps before running IDLE.
    Arcane, Jun 15, 2004