Python libs on Windows ME

hexusnexus

I'm not guessing that this is a problem on Windows 98, but on Windows
ME modules in /Lib don't seem to load. Examples include site.py and
os.py which are both located in the top level Lib directory. The same
thing happens with Python 2.3, 2.4, and 2.5. I can't get IDLE to load
and the Python interpreter always complains that it can't load the
"site" module even if Python is run from the same directory as the
module (note: this does not happen if a module is loaded from the
current working directory while in the interpreter).

I would use another os like Linux or Windows 2000, but this particular
computer can't even seem to handle even the most minimal graphical
Linux distributions.

Thomas Jollans

I'm not guessing that this is a problem on Windows 98, but on Windows
ME modules in /Lib don't seem to load. Examples include site.py and
os.py which are both located in the top level Lib directory. The same
thing happens with Python 2.3, 2.4, and 2.5. I can't get IDLE to load
and the Python interpreter always complains that it can't load the
"site" module even if Python is run from the same directory as the
module (note: this does not happen if a module is loaded from the
current working directory while in the interpreter).

What is sys.path set to ?

python.exe -c "import sys; print(sys.path)"

It sounds like the stdlib directory is not on sys.path. Couldn't say why
though...
I would use another os like Linux or Windows 2000, but this particular
computer can't even seem to handle even the most minimal graphical
Linux distributions.

Really? I'm sure you can get Linux on there somehow. It might not be trivial,
but it should definitely be possible. Out of interest: what distros did you
try?

Alexander Kapps

Thomas said:
Really? I'm sure you can get Linux on there somehow. It might not be trivial,
but it should definitely be possible. Out of interest: what distros did you
try?

In my experiences, getting /some/ Linux on a usual, say, post-1995
PC is almost trivial, even with GUI. It's just a matter of choosing
the right distro (and desktop environment).

If the OP would post the exact hardware specs, I'm almost sure, that
we can find a distro that works without much hassle.

hexusnexus

What is sys.path set to ?

python.exe -c "import sys; print(sys.path)"

It sounds like the stdlib directory is not on sys.path. Couldn't say why
though...

Really? I'm sure you can get Linux on there somehow. It might not be trivial,
but it should definitely be possible. Out of interest: what distros did you
try?

I think Puppy Linux might work, but I'd need GTK for wxPython, and I
assume that means version 2 of GTK which I'm not sure comes with Puppy
Linux and I've experienced problems in the past compiling GTK with './
configure && make' and so on.

Yeah, for some reason, the sys.path variable was set with 'python'
instead of 'Python25'. Funny how I never had that problem on Windows
XP. Renaming the directory or appending to sys.path fixes that
problem.

Alexander Kapps

I think Puppy Linux might work, but I'd need GTK for wxPython, and I
assume that means version 2 of GTK which I'm not sure comes with Puppy
Linux and I've experienced problems in the past compiling GTK with './
configure && make' and so on.

Well, just try. AFAIK, Puppy has GTK2 (actually, it would surprise
me if not)