Python licence again

Laszlo Zsolt Nagy

Hi All!

I know there has been a post about Python licencing but I have different
questions. I tried to Google for "Python Licence" and "Python Licencing"
but I could not find the answer.
Is there a place where I can ready about Python licencing? (A FAQ
maybe?) I really need to know the details of the licence, but not in the
lawyer's language. Just simple questions:

- How put a software under the Python licence?
- What can I do with the software?
- What can't I do?

I only need to know the most common things (like who can copy,
distribute, who can ask for money etc.)

I would like to make a bigger application. I would like to make it Open
source. GPL is not so good because I would like to encourage commercial
users too. I believe the best is to use the same licence for my application.

Thank you,

Laci 2.0

Laszlo Nagy web: http://designasign.biz
IT Consultant mail: (e-mail address removed)

Python forever!

Kent Johnson

Laszlo said:
Hi All!

I know there has been a post about Python licencing but I have different
questions. I tried to Google for "Python Licence" and "Python Licencing"
but I could not find the answer.
Is there a place where I can ready about Python licencing? (A FAQ
maybe?) I really need to know the details of the licence, but not in the
lawyer's language. Just simple questions:

- How put a software under the Python licence?
- What can I do with the software?
- What can't I do?

This might help:
http://www.python.org/moin/PythonSoftwareFoundationLicenseFaq

Kent

fuzzylollipop

try spelling license correctly next time and heading the google
suggestions that probably looked like "didn't you mean : Python License"

Laszlo Zsolt Nagy

fuzzylollipop said:
try spelling license correctly next time and heading the google
suggestions that probably looked like "didn't you mean : Python License"
Oh yes, that was the problem. I'm not aware of that. Unfortunately, I'm
not an American. I'm Hungarian
and my dictionary said 'licence' is correct. But I looked at 'license'.
It means almost the same. :)

Is it something like 'center' or 'color' for Americans and 'centre' or
'colour' for British people?
(Sorry to be offtopic)

Laci 2.0

Laszlo Nagy web: http://designasign.biz
IT Consultant mail: (e-mail address removed)

Python forever!

mensanator

License"

Google knows that "licence" is an alternate (as opposed to mispelled)
version of "license" and returns matches with either spelling, so it
does not give you the "didn't you mean" prompt.
Oh yes, that was the problem. I'm not aware of that. Unfortunately, I'm
not an American. I'm Hungarian
and my dictionary said 'licence' is correct. But I looked at 'license'.
It means almost the same. :)

Is it something like 'center' or 'color' for Americans and 'centre' or
'colour' for British people?
(Sorry to be offtopic)

Could be, I noticed one of the returned matches where "licence" was
used
had a .uk domain.

John J. Lee

Laszlo Zsolt Nagy said:
Oh yes, that was the problem. I'm not aware of that. Unfortunately,
I'm not an American. I'm Hungarian
and my dictionary said 'licence' is correct. But I looked at
'license'. It means almost the same. :)

Is it something like 'center' or 'color' for Americans and 'centre' or
'colour' for British people?

Yes. ISTR that licence is a British English spelling, though my
British brain has been thoroughly contaminated by US spellings and
usage by now. (Or are they like practice and practise, which (can)
mean subtly different things in British English (which few native
English speakers can keep straight, certainly not me...)?)

I will never pronounce thorough 'thurrow', though. One must draw a
line.

<wink>

John

John Machin

try spelling license correctly next time

Yup, pesky furriners, can't spell 'Merican prop'ly like God intended;
they shouldn't be allowed on the net, sheriff should run 'em right out
o' the county ...
and heading

Would that be like heading a soccer ball?
the google
suggestions that probably looked like "didn't you mean : Python License"

You might find, were you to try it, that it makes no such suggestions.

Peter Hansen

John said:
I will never pronounce thorough 'thurrow', though. One must draw a
line.

How *do* you pronounce it? "Thurrow" seems to match
how I say the word, along with everyone else I've
ever met (until now?).

-Peter

Will McGugan

Peter said:
How *do* you pronounce it? "Thurrow" seems to match
how I say the word, along with everyone else I've
ever met (until now?).

I would pronounce it like 'thurra', since I'm Scottish. It always makes
me cringe when Americans pronounce 'Edinburgh' as 'edin-burrow' rather
then 'edin-burra'.

I love how this newsgroup can digress so quickly.. ;)

Will McGugan

Peter Hansen

Will said:
I would pronounce it like 'thurra', since I'm Scottish. It always makes
me cringe when Americans pronounce 'Edinburgh' as 'edin-burrow' rather
then 'edin-burra'.

And I would pronounce it as just "edin-burr"... I've
heard the (as you call it) American pronunciation before,
but never the, uh, real one, which you use. :)
I love how this newsgroup can digress so quickly.. ;)

It does do that, doesn't it? And all on its own, too! ;-)

-Peter

Grant Edwards

I would pronounce it like 'thurra', since I'm Scottish. It always makes
me cringe when Americans pronounce 'Edinburgh' as 'edin-burrow' rather
then 'edin-burra'.

The city in Pennsylvania is spelled "Edinboro", so there are a
few people over here with a decent excuse.

And it could be worse, we could call it "edun-burg".

has

John said:
Yes. ISTR that licence is a British English spelling, though my
British brain has been thoroughly contaminated by US spellings and
usage by now.

Oh, it only gets worse: a couple years on the illiterate intarweb and
even basics like "its" and "it's" become a major struggle. ;p
(Or are they like practice and practise, which (can)
mean subtly different things in British English

Yep, we aim to confuse:

licence, practice = noun
license, practise = verb

/grammar geek

Tim Tyler

fuzzylollipop said:
try spelling license correctly next time and heading the google
suggestions that probably looked like "didn't you mean : Python License"

How do you spell license correctly?

John J. Lee

Will McGugan said:
I would pronounce it like 'thurra', since I'm Scottish.

Me too (England).

It always
makes me cringe when Americans pronounce 'Edinburgh' as 'edin-burrow'
rather then 'edin-burra'.

Edin-br. (There's a short vowel (a "schwa"?) on the end there that I
missed off because there's no unambigous ASCII symbol for it... But
it's the same vowel a child uses - at least in England! - to say "r"
when running through the alphabet, before they've learned the names
(ay bee cee dee) for the letters.)

John

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou

On 22 Apr 2005 12:22:41 -0700, "fuzzylollipop"
Yup, pesky furriners, can't spell 'Merican prop'ly like God intended;
they shouldn't be allowed on the net, sheriff should run 'em right out
o' the county ...

Sheriff is not available, for further info pls ask for R. Marley.
Would that be like heading a soccer ball?

Or heeding the sucker call (like I just did?)
You might find, were you to try it, that it makes no such suggestions.

Google isn't what it used to be when I was 6 yrs old.

Christos Georgiou

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:26:41 +1000, you wrote:

[snip]
I don't understand the connection with Bob Marley; pls enlighten me.

He shot the sheriff.
What makes you think you were heeding a sucker call?

Perhaps it's just bad wordplay from me. I assumed you knew that
'heading' was a misspelt 'heeding' but you playingly used literally
"heading" in your reply. For those who didn't get understand that,
though, I offered the correct "heeding" and then rhyming with "soccer
ball", I presented myself as the sucker who offered the correct spelling
when _it was not needed_.

So I didn't think I was heeding a sucker call at any moment, I just
wrote that as a pun. There were no indirect accusations about your
post, if that is what you meant.
That would make you, what, say 10 years old now?

When I was 6 yrs old, Google was inexistant. It isn't anymore, so my
assertion is correct (even though it's useless :) I'm 33 btw.
--
Christos Georgiou, Customer Support Engineer
Silicon Solutions, Medicon Ltd.