python multiprocessing proxy

DrFalk3N

I have a 2 processes:

the first process is manager.py and starts in backgroung:

from multiprocessing.managers import SyncManager, BaseProxy
from CompositeDict import *

class CompositeDictProxy(BaseProxy):

_exposed_ = ('addChild', 'setName')
def addChild(self, child):
return self._callmethod('addChild', [child])

def setName(self, name):
return self._callmethod('setName', [name])

class Manager(SyncManager):
def __init__(self):
super(Manager, self).__init__(address=('127.0.0.1',
50000), authkey='abracadabra')

def start_Manager():
Manager().get_server().serve_forever()

if __name__=="__main__":
Manager.register('get_plant', CompositeDict,
proxytype=CompositeDictProxy)
start_Manager()

----------

and the second is consumer.py supposed to use registered objects
defined into the manager:

from manager import *
import time
import random

class Consumer():

def __init__(self):
Manager.register('get_plant')

m = Manager()
m.connect()
plant = m.get_plant()
#plant.setName('alfa')
plant.addChild('beta')

if __name__=="__main__":
Consumer()

----------

Running the manager in background, and than the consumer I get the
error message:
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded,
when using addChild into the consumer, while I can correctly use
setName.

The detailed error message is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "consumer.py", line 21, in <module>
Consumer()
File "consumer.py", line 17, in __init__
plant.addChild('beta')
File "<string>", line 2, in addChild
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/multiprocessing-2.6.1.1-
py2.5-linux-i686.egg/multiprocessing/managers.py", line 729, in
_callmethod
kind, result = conn.recv()
File "/home/--/--/CompositeDict.py", line 99, in __getattr__
child = self.findChild(name)
File "/home/--/--/CompositeDict.py", line 185, in findChild
for child in self.getAllChildren():
File "/home/--/--/CompositeDict.py", line 167, in getAllChildren
l.extend(child.getAllChildren())
File "/home/--/--/CompositeDict.py", line 165, in getAllChildren
for child in self._children:
File "/home/--/--/CompositeDict.py", line 99, in __getattr__
child = self.findChild(name)
File "/home/--/--/CompositeDict.py", line 185, in findChild
for child in self.getAllChildren():
File "/--/--/prove/CompositeDict.py", line 165, in
getAllChildren
for child in self._children:
File "/home/--/--/CompositeDict.py", line 99, in __getattr__
child = self.findChild(name)
File "/home/--/--/CompositeDict.py", line 185, in findChild
for child in self.getAllChildren():
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded

Methods addChild and setName belongs to CompositeDict, I suppose to be
proxied.

What's wrong?

----------

CompositeDict overwrites native __getattr__ method and is involved in
the error message. I suppose, in some way, it's not used the right one
__getattr__ method. If so how could I solve this problem??

Following used CompositeDict is taken from http://code.activestate.com/recipes/498249/
:

"""
A class which defines a composite object which can store
hieararchical dictionaries with names.

This class is same as a hiearchical dictionary, but it
provides methods to add/access/modify children by name,
like a Composite.

Created Anand B Pillai <[email protected]>

"""
__author__ = "Anand B Pillai"
__maintainer__ = "Anand B Pillai"
__version__ = "0.2"

def normalize(val):
""" Normalize a string so that it can be used as an attribute
to a Python object """

if val.find('-') != -1:
val = val.replace('-','_')

return val

def denormalize(val):
""" De-normalize a string """

if val.find('_') != -1:
val = val.replace('_','-')

return val

class SpecialDict(dict):
""" A dictionary type which allows direct attribute
access to its keys """

def __getattr__(self, name):

if name in self.__dict__:
return self.__dict__[name]
elif name in self:
return self.get(name)
else:
# Check for denormalized name
name = denormalize(name)
if name in self:
return self.get(name)
else:
raise AttributeError,'no attribute named %s' % name

def __setattr__(self, name, value):

if name in self.__dict__:
self.__dict__[name] = value
elif name in self:
self[name] = value
else:
# Check for denormalized name
name2 = denormalize(name)
if name2 in self:
self[name2] = value
else:
# New attribute
self[name] = value

class CompositeDict(SpecialDict):
""" A class which works like a hierarchical dictionary.
This class is based on the Composite design-pattern """

ID = 0

def __init__(self, name=''):

if name:
self._name = name
else:
self._name = ''.join(('id#',str(self.__class__.ID)))
self.__class__.ID += 1

self._children = []
# Link back to father
self._father = None
self[self._name] = SpecialDict()

def __getattr__(self, name):

if name in self.__dict__:
return self.__dict__[name]
elif name in self:
return self.get(name)
else:
# Check for denormalized name
name = denormalize(name)
if name in self:
return self.get(name)
else:
# Look in children list
child = self.findChild(name)
if child:
return child
else:
attr = getattr(self[self._name], name)
if attr: return attr

raise AttributeError,'no attribute named %s' %
name

def isRoot(self):
""" Return whether I am a root component or not """

# If I don't have a parent, I am root
return not self._father

def isLeaf(self):
""" Return whether I am a leaf component or not """

# I am a leaf if I have no children
return not self._children

def getName(self):
""" Return the name of this ConfigInfo object """

return self._name

def getIndex(self, child):
""" Return the index of the child ConfigInfo object 'child'
"""

if child in self._children:
return self._children.index(child)
else:
return -1

def getDict(self):
""" Return the contained dictionary """

return self[self._name]

def getProperty(self, child, key):
""" Return the value for the property for child
'child' with key 'key' """

# First get the child's dictionary
childDict = self.getInfoDict(child)
if childDict:
return childDict.get(key, None)

def setProperty(self, child, key, value):
""" Set the value for the property 'key' for
the child 'child' to 'value' """

# First get the child's dictionary
childDict = self.getInfoDict(child)
if childDict:
childDict[key] = value

def getChildren(self):
""" Return the list of immediate children of this object """

return self._children

def getAllChildren(self):
""" Return the list of all children of this object """

l = []
for child in self._children:
l.append(child)
l.extend(child.getAllChildren())

return l

def getChild(self, name):
""" Return the immediate child object with the given name """

for child in self._children:
if child.getName() == name:
return child

def findChild(self, name):
""" Return the child with the given name from the tree """

# Note - this returns the first child of the given name
# any other children with similar names down the tree
# is not considered.

for child in self.getAllChildren():
if child.getName() == name:
return child

def findChildren(self, name):
""" Return a list of children with the given name from the
tree """

# Note: this returns a list of all the children of a given
# name, irrespective of the depth of look-up.

children = []

for child in self.getAllChildren():
if child.getName() == name:
children.append(child)

return children

def getPropertyDict(self):
""" Return the property dictionary """

d = self.getChild('__properties')
if d:
return d.getDict()
else:
return {}

def getParent(self):
""" Return the person who created me """

return self._father

def __setChildDict(self, child):
""" Private method to set the dictionary of the child
object 'child' in the internal dictionary """

d = self[self._name]
d[child.getName()] = child.getDict()

def setParent(self, father):
""" Set the parent object of myself """

# This should be ideally called only once
# by the father when creating the child :)
# though it is possible to change parenthood
# when a new child is adopted in the place
# of an existing one - in that case the existing
# child is orphaned - see addChild and addChild2
# methods !
self._father = father

def setName(self, name):
""" Set the name of this ConfigInfo object to 'name'
"""

self._name = name

def setDict(self, d):
""" Set the contained dictionary """

self[self._name] = d.copy()

def setAttribute(self, name, value):
""" Set a name value pair in the contained dictionary """

self[self._name][name] = value

def getAttribute(self, name):
""" Return value of an attribute from the contained dictionary
"""

return self[self._name][name]

def addChild(self, name, force=False):
""" Add a new child 'child' with the name 'name'.
If the optional flag 'force' is set to True, the
child object is overwritten if it is already there.

This function returns the child object, whether
new or existing """

if type(name) != str:
raise ValueError, 'Argument should be a string!'

child = self.getChild(name)
if child:
# print 'Child %s present!' % name
# Replace it if force==True
if force:
index = self.getIndex(child)
if index != -1:
child = self.__class__(name)
self._children[index] = child
child.setParent(self)

self.__setChildDict(child)
return child
else:
child = self.__class__(name)
child.setParent(self)

self._children.append(child)
self.__setChildDict(child)

return child

def addChild2(self, child):
""" Add the child object 'child'. If it is already present,
it is overwritten by default """

currChild = self.getChild(child.getName())
if currChild:
index = self.getIndex(currChild)
if index != -1:
self._children[index] = child