Python + Newspipe

Discussion in 'Python' started by kael, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. kael

    kael Guest

    Hello,

    I'm trying to run _Newspipe_ but Python returns an error :

    [root@kael root]# python2.3 /home/kael/newspipe/newspipe.py
    newspipe.py - version 1.1.1 revision 1.42, Copyright (C) 2003-2004
    Ricardo M. Reyes <>

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/home/kael/newspipe/newspipe.py", line 1484, in ?
    MainLoop()
    File "/home/kael/newspipe/newspipe.py", line 1323, in MainLoop
    config = LeerConfig()
    File "/home/kael/newspipe/newspipe.py", line 895, in LeerConfig
    for attr in ini.options('NewsPipe'):
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/ConfigParser.py", line 240, in options
    raise NoSectionError(section)
    ConfigParser.NoSectionError: No section: 'NewsPipe'

    Unfortunately, I'm new to Linux (RedHat9) and to Python (2.3) and I'm
    not able to understand this error message.

    Could someone enlighten me ? O:)

    Thank you very much.

    --
    kael
    kael, Dec 10, 2004

  2. kael

    Dave Kuhlman Guest

    kael wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to run _Newspipe_ but Python returns an error :

    > [root@kael root]# python2.3 /home/kael/newspipe/newspipe.py
    > newspipe.py - version 1.1.1 revision 1.42, Copyright (C) 2003-2004
    > Ricardo M. Reyes <>
    >
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "/home/kael/newspipe/newspipe.py", line 1484, in ?
    > MainLoop()
    > File "/home/kael/newspipe/newspipe.py", line 1323, in MainLoop
    > config = LeerConfig()
    > File "/home/kael/newspipe/newspipe.py", line 895, in LeerConfig
    > for attr in ini.options('NewsPipe'):
    > File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/ConfigParser.py", line 240, in
    > options
    > raise NoSectionError(section)
    > ConfigParser.NoSectionError: No section: 'NewsPipe'
    >
    > Unfortunately, I'm new to Linux (RedHat9) and to Python (2.3) and
    > I'm not able to understand this error message.
    >
    > Could someone enlighten me ? O:)

    1. Read about ConfigParser here:

    http://docs.python.org/lib/module-ConfigParser.html

    2. Read the traceback from the bottom up: (1) The exception is
    raised in ConfigParser.py on line 240 in function/method options.
    (2) This was called from newspipe.py on line 895 in
    function/method LeerConfig.

    3. It's looking for a section named "NewsPipe" in your
    options/config file. Check your config file. Is that
    section name misspelled? Is the section missing? Does
    the NewsPipe documentation tell you where the config file
    should be and what it's name is? If not, look in newspipe.py.

    Hope this helps.

    Dave

    --
    Dave Kuhlman
    http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman
    Dave Kuhlman, Dec 10, 2004

  3. kael

    kael Guest

    Dave Kuhlman wrote:
    > 1. Read about ConfigParser here:
    >
    > http://docs.python.org/lib/module-ConfigParser.html

    Thank you very for this link.

    > 2. Read the traceback from the bottom up: (1) The exception is
    > raised in ConfigParser.py on line 240 in function/method options.
    > (2) This was called from newspipe.py on line 895 in
    > function/method LeerConfig.

    Should the changes be made in the newspipe/* directory only ? Or should
    I manage the ConfigParser.py ?

    > 3. It's looking for a section named "NewsPipe" in your
    > options/config file. Check your config file. Is that
    > section name misspelled? Is the section missing? Does
    > the NewsPipe documentation tell you where the config file
    > should be and what it's name is? If not, look in newspipe.py.

    According to the Newspipe documentation
    http://newspipe.sourceforge.net/#configuration, only the 'smtp_server'
    and 'opml' lines are absolutely needed in newspipe.py.

    Please, see newspipe.py below:
    ----------------------------------
    [NewsPipe]
    log_console=1
    smtp_server=smtp.free.fr
    opml=test.opml
    sleep_time=30
    check_online=http://www.google.com
    ----------------------------------

    Do you think any lines are missing ?

    Unless, it could come from the OPML file ?

    > Hope this helps.

    Yes. But, unfortunately, not enough - it's hard to be a newbie. :-/

    I thank you very much for your help.

    --
    kael

    @759 .beats, 2004-12-10
    kael, Dec 10, 2004
  4. kael

    Peter Hansen Guest

    kael wrote:
    > Dave Kuhlman wrote:
    >> 3. It's looking for a section named "NewsPipe" in your
    >> options/config file. Check your config file. Is that
    >> section name misspelled? Is the section missing? Does
    >> the NewsPipe documentation tell you where the config file
    >> should be and what it's name is? If not, look in newspipe.py.

    > According to the Newspipe documentation
    > http://newspipe.sourceforge.net/#configuration, only the 'smtp_server'
    > and 'opml' lines are absolutely needed in newspipe.py.
    >
    > Please, see newspipe.py below:
    > ----------------------------------
    > [NewsPipe]
    > log_console=1
    > smtp_server=smtp.free.fr
    > opml=test.opml
    > sleep_time=30
    > check_online=http://www.google.com
    > ----------------------------------

    You are misreading something. On the page you referenced above,
    it clearly states in "Installation" that the file in question
    is named "newspipe.ini", not "newspipe.py". You are confusing
    the two, since what you show above is not "newspipe.py" or,
    if it is, somebody has messed up...

    newspipe.py should contain Python code, newspipe.ini should
    contain configuration info like you show above.

    If you *have* a newspipe.ini file that contains the above,
    but are still getting the error message you reported earlier,
    then the program is not *finding* your newspipe.ini file and
    you should probably contact the author(s) for assistance,
    since this is not a Python issue.

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Dec 10, 2004
  5. kael

    kael Guest

    Peter Hansen wrote:
    > kael wrote
    >>Dave Kuhlman wrote:
    >>>3. It's looking for a section named "NewsPipe" in your
    >>> options/config file. Check your config file. Is that
    >>> section name misspelled? Is the section missing? Does
    >>> the NewsPipe documentation tell you where the config file
    >>> should be and what it's name is? If not, look in newspipe.py.

    >>According to the Newspipe documentation
    >>http://newspipe.sourceforge.net/#configuration, only the 'smtp_server'
    >>and 'opml' lines are absolutely needed in newspipe.py.
    >>
    >>Please, see newspipe.py below:
    >>----------------------------------
    >>[NewsPipe]
    >>log_console=1
    >>smtp_server=smtp.free.fr
    >>opml=test.opml
    >>sleep_time=30
    >>check_online=http://www.google.com
    >>----------------------------------

    > You are misreading something. On the page you referenced above,
    > it clearly states in "Installation" that the file in question
    > is named "newspipe.ini", not "newspipe.py". You are confusing
    > the two, since what you show above is not "newspipe.py" or,
    > if it is, somebody has messed up...

    Sorry. The lines above are from *newspipe.ini* not newspipe.py. Thanks
    for pointing the confusion.

    > newspipe.py should contain Python code, newspipe.ini should
    > contain configuration info like you show above.
    >
    > If you *have* a newspipe.ini file that contains the above,
    > but are still getting the error message you reported earlier,
    > then the program is not *finding* your newspipe.ini file and
    > you should probably contact the author(s) for assistance,
    > since this is not a Python issue.

    I'm going to contact him. Thank you very much for your reply.

    Cheers.

    --
    kael

    @829 .beats, 2004-12-10
    kael, Dec 10, 2004
  6. kael

    kael Guest

    Peter Hansen wrote:
    > you should probably contact the author(s) for assistance since this is not a Python issue.

    I contact the author and there is a bug in the version I'm using.

    Now it works by running

    $ cd /newspipe
    $ python ./newspipe.py

    Instead of