Python on a USB storage device?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Kevin Altis, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Kevin Altis

    Kevin Altis Guest

    Does anyone have experience running Python from a USB storage device?
    Whether it is the need for doing a demo of your application, doing a bit of
    consulting, or just showing off Python, it would be handy to be able to run
    Python on machines that don't already have Python installed. I'm thinking
    about giving this a try, but wondered if anyone is already doing it and the
    downsides, if any?

    CD-ROM is not very effective because the media is read-only and too big to
    carry in your pocket. I think USB 2.0 is supposed to be roughly 20x faster
    than USB for storage devices, but I'm guessing that if you can live with the
    load times for machines that don't have USB 2.0, plain USB should still be
    effective.

    HP Windows desktops, Linux, and Mac OS X already have Python installed and
    Mac OS X (Panther) will have Python 2.3. But even so, you generally have to
    install additional packages to get the functionality you want. Having all
    you need on a USB storage device and not needing to install anything on the
    host machine seems like it would be very convenient.

    ka
    Kevin Altis, Jul 28, 2003

  2. On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 19:27, Kevin Altis wrote:
    > Does anyone have experience running Python from a USB storage device?

    I don't have experience running Python from an USB storage device, but
    I've been using a 1GB USB-Stick to carry around a Knoppix distribution
    with me, for those PCs which can boot from USB and don't have a CD-ROM
    drive (there are quite a few where I work as sys-admin). USB works well
    here, so I guess if you use USB to carry around a Python installation,
    this should work well too.

    USB 2.0 doesn't matter, as the USB-sticks I know of don't even support
    it (the normal transmission speed of those sticks is an average 5 MB/s,
    and that's way below USB 1.1 max speed of 11 MB/s).

    So, I guess you should be successful with a stick for running Python
    too...

    Just my 5 cents.

    Heiko Wundram.
    Heiko Wundram, Jul 28, 2003

  3. Kevin Altis

    yaipa h. Guest

    Kevin,

    If you don't mind kick starting your app by hand then everything
    should work just fine. They are after all just disk drives that
    use USB as the hardware layer rather than the devices's native ATA,
    ATAPI, or SCSI physical layer.

    Now if you want to start your app using AUTORUN or AUTOPLAY, good luck.
    AUTORUN has been squeezed out of XP because of it's rather
    large security hole. With AUTOPLAY, you can simulate AUTORUN behavior,
    but true to MSoft it's rather convoluted.

    IOMEGA has nice utility that automates AUTOPLAY a bit. Once you understand
    what their app does you will understand what you are up against.

    http://www.iomega-activedisk.com/landing.jsp

    Cheers,

    --Alan

    yaipa h., Jul 28, 2003
  4. Kevin Altis

    ddoc Guest

    small CDs?

    Kevin Altis wrote:

    > it would be handy to be able to
    > run Python on machines that don't already have Python installed.

    > CD-ROM is not very effective because the media is read-only and too big to
    > carry in your pocket.

    Read-only, yes, but you can get small CD-Rs that hold a reasonable amount
    of information in either a proper round shape, or one with corners that
    makes it conference badge/credit card sized.

    Probably easiest to set up the system you burn on the pocketable CD so that
    it uses the USB device you carry in the other pocket to store anything that
    needs to change or be retained after a session.

    ddoc, Jul 29, 2003
  5. Kevin Altis

    Guest

    Heiko Wundram wrote:
    > On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 19:27, Kevin Altis wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone have experience running Python from a USB storage device?

    > I don't have experience running Python from an USB storage device, but
    > I've been using a 1GB USB-Stick to carry around a Knoppix distribution
    > with me, for those PCs which can boot from USB and don't have a CD-ROM
    > drive (there are quite a few where I work as sys-admin). USB works well
    > here, so I guess if you use USB to carry around a Python installation,
    > this should work well too.
    >
    > USB 2.0 doesn't matter, as the USB-sticks I know of don't even support
    > it (the normal transmission speed of those sticks is an average 5 MB/s,
    > and that's way below USB 1.1 max speed of 11 MB/s).

    Careful, see http://www.pixelbeat.org/speeds
    USB 2.0 = 60 MB/s
    USB 1.1 = 1.5 MB/s

    You can get flash chips now that do 6MB/s

    Pádraig.
    , Jul 29, 2003
  6. Kevin Altis

    Eddie Corns Guest

    "Kevin Altis" <> writes:

    >Does anyone have experience running Python from a USB storage device?
    >Whether it is the need for doing a demo of your application, doing a bit of
    >consulting, or just showing off Python, it would be handy to be able to run
    >Python on machines that don't already have Python installed. I'm thinking
    >about giving this a try, but wondered if anyone is already doing it and the
    >downsides, if any?

    >CD-ROM is not very effective because the media is read-only and too big to
    >carry in your pocket. I think USB 2.0 is supposed to be roughly 20x faster
    >than USB for storage devices, but I'm guessing that if you can live with the
    >load times for machines that don't have USB 2.0, plain USB should still be
    >effective.

    >HP Windows desktops, Linux, and Mac OS X already have Python installed and
    >Mac OS X (Panther) will have Python 2.3. But even so, you generally have to
    >install additional packages to get the functionality you want. Having all
    >you need on a USB storage device and not needing to install anything on the
    >host machine seems like it would be very convenient.

    Yes, I have an oldish windows Python distribution on a 128Mb stick. It works
    quite nicely but you do have to be aware that without the usual registry
    entries it won't search for libraries etc. so well. I tend to keep all
    programs to be run in one directory. I also pruned lots of stuff out to
    minimise space used. It would be nice to have an installer that allowed you
    to selectively install core plus whatever you might actually want. Or maybe
    there is one, I'm not a windows person which is the whole reason for having
    this, it allows me to quickly do things on user's machines.

    It would work on Linux too except you need to have permission to create mount
    tables etc. to get the filesystem. {Network tip #4265: never ask whether
    something can be done, just state that it can't - that'll get you a lot more

    Eddie
    Eddie Corns, Jul 29, 2003
  7. Sybren Stuvel <> wrote in
    > You can also install Linux on a USB storage device and hope the
    > computer it has to run on supports booting from USB ;-)
    >
    >> It would work on Linux too except you need to have permission to
    >> create mount tables etc. to get the filesystem.

    > Running your own Linux off the USB stick solves that problem.

    Knoppix (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/) is a bootable Linux CD.
    that way you dont have to rely on anything on the PC except some RAM and a
    BIOS that can boot from CDROM.
    you can keep your own files on a USB stick, a floppy or the same CD.

    there are even Knoppix derrivates for the small (8cm) CDs and for USB
    sticks.

    ok, enough advertising for other things ;-)

    chris

    --
    Chris <>
    Chris Liechti, Jul 29, 2003