    Perl and Java.

    Given, I'm posting on comp.lang.python but I'd love to hear anyone's
    thoughts on Perl/Python/Jython interfacing with C# or Java.
    bezeee, Aug 15, 2003

  2. bezeee

    Alan Kennedy Guest

    bezeee wrote:

    > At my work we are in the process of building a tool to test an XML based
    > API. Basically, XML in and XML out over http.

    Presumably you mean WebServices/WSDL/etc when you say "an XML based
    API .. over HTTP"?

    If yes, you should check out TestMaker, an open source web-services
    testing framework. This might have solved all your problems already.

    http://www.pushtotest.com/

    Look under "Free Tools".

    > Currently, there are two
    > engines that do all of the schema validations, xml diffs, > sending/receiving,
    > etc. One of these engines in implemented in C# and the other in Java.

    I think you'll find oodles of support for all things XML in both Java
    and C#. Probably more support than you need for any givan task.

    > Now the choice comes down to which scripting language we choose (Perl,
    > Python or Jython) to tie into one of these engines. The scripting language
    > is where we will actually write the tests which consists of manipulating
    > xml, checking values, etc. The C# and Java engines are simply tools to
    > report, schema validate, etc.
    >
    > It's a snap to use the C# modules with the Win32 libraries in Python and
    > Perl, Jython could handle the Java

    > I've seen JPE
    > (http://www.arakne.com/jpe/faq.htm) if we want to use Python and Java.

    Hmm, my understanding is that JPE is a dead project: no release of
    code for quite a while, no new features (Check out the date of
    copyright, August 2000). And being honest, I always thought it is a
    bad idea and a waste of effort anyway.

    If you want to glue python and jython together, far better to use some
    remote-object-call facility like Pyro, or CORBA.

    http://pyro.sourceforge.net/
    http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/

    > Personally, I like Python and C#. Unfortunately, my company leans towards
    > Perl and Java.

    I think you'll find that all of Python/COM, Python/C# and Jython/Java
    are excellent choices.

    My personal opinion is that Java can't be beaten for choice for
    third-party libraries, particularly for XML, which is fantastically
    well supported in the Java world. I make that assertion based on the
    fact that there are oodles of free Java + XML software available from
    third parties. Although I'm fairly sure that C# will get there
    eventually in terms of being well supported by the free software
    community, I don't believe that support is there right now: at least
    in comparison to Java.

    > Given, I'm posting on comp.lang.python but I'd love to hear anyone's
    > thoughts on Perl/Python/Jython interfacing with C# or Java.

    Summarising my knowledge

    1. I know nothing about perl+java+c#

    2. CPython supports MS platforms (COM, C#) extremely well. Pretty much
    guaranteed to support all facilities that you need.

    3. Jython integration with Java is so good that it is completely
    seamless. Coding in jython and then dropping down to Java when you
    need more speed is a dream combination, IMHO.

    Given that Java and C# are essentially different flavours of the same
    language (Alan dons asbestos suit ;-), it seems to me that your real
    choice is based on how quickly you can write your apps in Perl vs.
    Python, and how correct and maintainable will the final result be.
    Assuming that Perl integrates with Java or C# as well as (C|J)Python
    does.

    HTH,

    --
    alan kennedy