Python Package Managment

Discussion in 'Python' started by Bernard Rankin, Jan 28, 2009.

  1. [extracted from pylons-discuss]

    > >> I hate to pass the buck, but this is Python's fault for not having
    > >> reliable package management built in. There's nothing Pylons can do
    > >> about it except switch to another programming language.

    > > [SNIP]

    > Without Setuptools,
    > Pylons and TurboGears couldn't exist, and Zope and Twisted
    > would not have been able to split themselves into several packages.
    > People coming to Python from Perl and Ruby expect to be able to just
    > run a command to download and install a package. That problem was
    > solved ten years ago, so why does Python still not have it standard?
    >
    > If Setuptools and Virtualenv or the equivalent were built into Python,
    > you could trust that every computer that has successfully installed
    > Python can install packages and make virtual environments the same
    > way..
    >
    > That would eliminate 2/3 of the problems users have when
    > installing Pylons, and the subsequent need to explain the problems and
    > workarounds in the installation docs. At
    > work people say, "Half the trouble of Pylons is installing it", and I
    > often have to help them install it in person because otherwise they
    > get stuck at some error message and have no idea what to do.

    Agreed. I would even move ipython (or something like it) to core.

    Of course, even Setuptools has a long way to go in some areas. (Installation Rollback, for one.)

    Python is about "batteries included", and these are major "batteries" in most modern environments.

    A CPAN like "in-house hosted" archive would nice, too. This way, modules have a better chance of outliving the original author's interest/commitment in paying for, possibly non-trivial, web hosting.

    I'm sure these issues has been discussed to death, but I wonder what the larger Python community thinks.

    Bernard Rankin, Jan 28, 2009